The Sun Dragon Revival

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:36:32 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Metcalfe noted....

> MO the magic of the draconic cults of the EWF was accomplished
> by using 'Auld Wyrmish' as the method by which one did draconic
> magic. This was the EWF equivalent of Kralori mysticism or the
> False Dragon Ring's Charismatic Wisdom. At a skill of 25% or
> less, one is limited to minor cantrips that are markedly inferior
> to the standard human magics. Since these cantrips are so useless
> and even scout dragonewts take the trouble of learning human magic,
> their existance has been almost forgotten. Between 25% and 50%,
> the speaker becomes capable of using Dragonewt Magic (albeit
> 'one-use'). Beyond that the speaker's mastery of Auld Wyrmish
> continues to improve.

       Ah! Excellent, as I'm working on the idea that while the elder and greater gods are "gone" lesser entities (hero cults, local cults) such as Pavis still survive. I'm thinking that lost draconic secrets of Pavis might resurface. And of course Pavic gives one some skill in Auld Wymish, although I'd suspect not the truly enlightening and empowering aspects.

> The basic magics of the EWF would have been the standard magics
> of turning into a dragon. The various cults existed to provide
> further draconic understandings. As mentioned, the Sun Dragon
> Cult teaches Telekinesis (probably on the basis that this is what
> keeps the Sun afloat) and a few others (like turning the Dragon
> bright and fiery). Adepts in this cult would have a draconic form
> that resembled a Griffin.

      Interesting.....

> >And of course, is the idea of a Sun Dragon Revival absurd?
>
> It depends. The cult is still prevelant among the Wyrms who
> can speak Auld Wyrmish. The trouble is how the humans can do
> so since that the Inhuman King has somehow removed all memory
> and understanding of Auld Wyrmish. Estangang Griffin Rider
> was probably a member of the Pavis Sun Dome Temple (the ruins
> of the one on Temple Hill) and would have been active before
> 1043 ST IMO.

      Well, with the greater gods gone, I'm figuring there might be a sort of
"vacuum" or opening for a return of the cult amongst humans. Humans might at least aspire to draconic enlightenment even if it is limited, but maybe the dragons/Inhuman King might remove or reduce the limits.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...