O[b]J Simpson, Greg, and Iorgh!

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:48:57 +0100 (BST)

David Cake blames Sobjectivity and OJ on:
> sloppy thinking and vague and inappropriate
> use of terminology (like Not Guilty = Innocent)

That equation is true, though; the logical error is in equating "in law" with "in fact". I'd like to say this was an easy mistake to make, but sadly we have screeds of evidence to the contrary.

Jim Chapin wonders aloud, of the Cult of Greg:
> are His answers self-consistent

That'd be a big No. ;-)

> or does each worshipper only hear what confirms the
> beliefs he already had before the divination?

Perhaps something closer to the reverse... My experience is that asking Greg a "loaded" question is likely to have it blow up in your face.

Nick Brooke comments on "Iorgh!":
> And I'd always assumed this owed more to Golfimbul than to Scotland.

And where do you think that unscrupulous J.R.[R.] pinched Golfimbul from! The real credit, though, goes to whichever inspired lunatic coined the phrase "Full contact golf", little imagining (one presumes) that there was such a game in the RW, never mind in Tolkien.

> "Iorgh" (or "Yorg" or "Joerg" or some such name)

You may think there's some similarity here; I Couldn't Possibly Comment.

> the Clan MacFerguson

And some of us thought that "Daughtersdottir" was redundant-sounding...

Alexesquely,
Alex.