Mythic Conflict

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:55:20 -0400

Martin Dick asks:
>Moonbroth is a classic case where superior Lunar manipulation
>of myths was crucial when they "proved" that Oakfed was the son =

>of Lodril and turned Oakfed's powers on the Praxians. How did they
>do that? And on a lower level, how can we simulate such events in =

>our campaigns? =

IMO this is simple to explain. Firstly L:odril and Oakfed are pretty =

much one and the same thing - combinations of fire and earth magic but the Lodril cult is a massive and old organisation that has many more rituals for controlling the forces of that earth/fire interaction an= d
even includes a fertility aspect beyond that of Oakfeds. Oakfed is a spirit cult and is practiced by only a relatively tiny number of Shaman. Admittedly those shaman are often toughter individually than almost any of the Lodril priests but there are a hell of a lot more Lordili than=  =

Oakfed Shaman and the Lunars used this quantity of initiates and =

priests (remember that most Pelorians worship Lordil in some form and the soldiers of the army would be able to send some MPs to any ceremony held, this would be much more difficult for the Shamans and =

the Praxians who have little tradition of mass magic, unlike the Dara =

Happans, Pelorians and Lunars.)

So the Lordil priests with the lunar army simply cast a mass version =

of Suppress Lordil or "Prove Lodril is Master/Father of Oakfed Ritual" as it is also be known. This ritual was more powerful and more =

polished than the Shamans ritual and so they were defeated magically.

There is no great mystery to it, its simply the application of superior magical sophistication backed by superior force.

You could simulate this very easily in any game. =

Of course to the people actually there they would argue that Oakfed =

was defeated by a mighty Lunar heroquest proving the Shamans =

mistake - but then the winners write history.....

Martin Laurie