Glorantha: the Guzzling.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 20:50:10 +0100 (BST)

Pam Carlson:
> Perhaps part of the confusion is that in North America, toasted cheese
> sandwhiches are fried (in butter), not toasted at all.

And your original point was that "fried bread" was illogical and disgusting? ;-)

Jane Williams:
> > > Some Sartarite clan could always have blue sheep, for instance.
> > Presumably an Inora-worshipping clan...
> Actually I was thinking of Heler.

Another witticism sunk without trace... Presumably, blue's not much of a problem, if they have woad. (I'm not so sure woad made a very good blue dye in the RW, but why let that worry us?)

> The Inora clan would have sheep with a very thick, warm, white fleece.

Or perhaps goats. As Sandy insists Sartar has lots of them, despite the supposed prejudice against them, they'd presumably be kept by people with "odd" religious beliefs.

[pig's blood and pickled fish]
> Sounds interesting: personally I'd try it.

Heortland bludfisk it is, then! And may the Lord Orlanth have Mercy on their Stomachs.

> I've generally opted for Sartar being dark age/medieval British (climate
> and known crops fit).

Modulo the odd grape or two. A somewhat ad hoc mixture between contintental Celtic, Viking, and medieval Brit, perhaps.

> Lunars I've equated to Rome, and Apicius in particular: the level of
> absurd luxury fits, and it's documented enough to be useful.

The empire obviously contains lots of distinct gastronomic sub-regions. Spuds in the north-west, rice in the central lowlands, maize in the surrounding areas, grain crops elsewhere, esp. the uplands. The Nobs, of course, get to cream off the juicy parts of all of it, and further afield besides, so Decadent Roman Binges seem the right sort of notion. (Pass the purgatives, my good man, in the name of Blessed Saint Bulimia.)

> Now, where can I fit Italian, Greek, and Indian cookery?

Italian: Felster Lake region. Tomatoes optional.

Greek. Hrm, tricky. Pelanda might be feasible for bits thereof, but doesn't have the right climate, overall. Maybe Teleos, for the overtly Mediterenean stuff.

Indian: Dara Happa. Lots of rice and pulses to feed the teaming multitudes.

> Scott Haney:
> > (Fully confident that probably only Alex will know if I spelled that
> > correctly.)

> It's "Laphroaig".

Don't say I didn't warn you, Scott. ;-) ('gh', as well as 'dh', and assorted other combinations (especially in Irish) are generally silent.)

Persons whose spouses enjoin them to only have one bottle of Scotch at a time, btw, should consider an argument based on the distinctive qualities of each _region_ of malt-distilling. Ideally, one ought to aim at being allowed one from each of the really important regions: North Islay, West Islay, South Islay. No, make that _two_ from South Islay. Oh, and _maybe_ a Speyside, I _suppose_...

> And that definitely comes under the heading of scary food: how many
> people like drinking a peat bog, after all?

<raises hand!> With added phenols, please! (If that worries you, you should hear what the locals reckon goes into Talisker. Several petroleum by-products were mentioned, though.) Well, obviously, that's why they distill it _twice_ -- the first time's just to remove the stray sheep, English tourists who failed the shibboleth test, etc. [Speculation as to why Irish whiskey is distilled three times deleted.]

Bon appetite,
Alex.