Sorcery - more questions...

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:56:39 +1000 (EST)

Well, not many replies to my previous questions (thanks to those who did), so I'll try again :-)

In Sandy's sorcery rules (presence-based), one can create their familiar with the proper ritual. In RQ3, the familiar could be taught spells, and, like in SiP, could learn things like intensity etc. increasing their %. Spells were either learnt or not, so they were easy. In the new system, spells have the %. Spirit/divine magicians can teach their spells to their familiars for free, and the familiar can cast them. Using the presence system, the familiar has no presence since it has not, and maybe cannot, take vows. So even if it can be taught spells (to what %?) and Arts, it could only cast an intensity 1 spell anyway.

Since it seems that familiars *should* be able to cast spells:

Q1. can familiars get Presence? Do they *need* presence to cast spells or is

    there _another_ (damn) system they use? Q2. can sorcerers teach their familiar their spells to the % they know them

    without violating vows or social/church precepts? Q3. how do familiars learn the Arts?

cheers and thanks for the help!
Robert McArthur