The Blame for shinty/golfimbil/Iorgh!/camanachd/...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:10:39 +0100 (BST)

Roderick Robertson claims the right to the following insult:
> > The real credit, though, goes to whichever inspired lunatic
> >coined the phrase "Full contact golf", little imagining (one presumes)
> >that there was such a game in the RW, never mind in Tolkien.

> I sir, am no Lunie, and I am quite aware of Shinty.

Then pretty much by definition, I wasn't referring to you, was I? ;-) Perhaps I misrecall, but I think the coinage dates back much further that your posting on the subject, and was indeed made by someone who showed no apparent awareness of there being any such RW game. (The comment was more on the lines of "Maybe the Orlanthi play something like golf, except full-contact", rather than "The Orlanthi obviously play a shinty-like game".) Whoever it was, anyway, inspired me to write up an entirely shameless shinty knock-off as the aforementioned Sartarite "sport", more yonks ago than I care to recall. If begged to repost, I'll see if I can find it in under the sedimentary layers of dust...

> Rumor has it that when Scottish Shinty players and Irish Hurley
> players get together, the Irish are allowed to pick up and carry
> the ball (as they are in Hurley), but the ball counts as "in play" and the
> Scots can still hit it with their clubs...

I can confirm the first part; the second sounds too painful for words... So much for "compromise" rules, this seems more "worst".

Let it also be known that when this happens, they each play with their own style of caman (Irish flat and broad, Scottish somewhat like a crocked hockey stick), which looks a bit odd -- imagine a game played between someone with a ping-pong bat and a badminton racket, or a hockey team turning up a at game of lacrosse, and you'll have some idea of the incongruity of the sight; and that the Scots always win. ;-)

Chauvinistically,
Alex.