Game and Fictional needs

From: Pete Newallis <reaper_at_echo.sound.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:10:36 -0500 (CDT)

>From: Chris Bell <remster_at_interport.net>
>Subject: Back again, Gloranthan Weapons and weapon styles,

> This would most
>likely be special skills that the Humakti can learn through Hero Cults
>within Humakt, perhaps having to undergo some kind of minor HQ (such as
>when Humakt defeated Vivamort with the 7 truth cuts) or take an
>additional Geas (Hunt down and destroy a Vampire during Sacred Time each
>year.)

  This is not meant as a flame! I was cruising through the digest when I saw this last line. I think it illustrates two camps in Glorantha today, a division not seen iin most other RPGs.

  I think Glorantha dispite not having as much fiction as some other RPG worlds is more well rounded fictionally. There are is more info out there talking about the world, not outlining stats or explaining scenarios. And there is a following now of people who enjoy just completing the world. Some of the still RP in Glorantha (either RQ or freeform or otherwise) but there are some now who used to play in Glorantha or never have and enjoy the list and material like KOS, FS, GRAY, etc purely for the world-expanding aspect of them.

  Of course, the gamer camp is upset. Where is the current rules system? Who is still writing scenarios and where are new sourcebooks written to bring a region of Glorantha into a RP campaign. And it helps explain the constant coments of no recent good works on Glorantha.

  Like the God Learner Secret, I have no good answer other that understanding a situation sometimes helps dealing with it.

  Back to the line. I've written a novel in Glorantha about a Humakti runelord who has a geas to kill a vampire during Sacred Time. Maybe it's mentioned as an aside or it's a majot plot element. Generally, people enjoy reading the story and it goes down as something defining the world.

  Now look at it from a RP view. Say this is a 40 year old Humakti runelord coming up on yet another Sacred Time. He took the geas at 20. He's killed 19 vampires! All runelords in their own cult. And I rate vampires as generally tougher
than your average runelord. Either this guy is ready to be a Superhero or something in play balance seems odd.

   It isn't a right/wrong issue. Sometimes "facts" will satisfy both camps. At times, something written from either perspective will annoy the other.

  Chris, What will my player get for "attempting" to kill a Vampire at Sacred time?

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #549