Orlanth vs Yelm, etc

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:13:53 -0500

> ...In the Myths, Orlanth's skill with the sword was
> legendary, and even though Yelm beat him in every other contest,
Chris Bell:
> Orlanth defeated him in their one and only clash of arms.

        Even in Orlanthi myths this isn't true. Orlanth challenged Yelm, who naturally went first. Yelm demonstrated the range and accuracy he could achieve with his bow. Then Orlanth struck him, which was unprecedented. Challenges in the Celestial Court were always before settled by demonstrating skill, not fighting. Yelm and Co were expecting Orlanth to perform some sort of sword-dance. If Yelm had understood what Orlanth was intending, he would have demonstrated how far his arrows would go _after_ penetrating Orlanth...

        Read GRoy and you'll see that when Rebellus Terminous attempted to strike Yelm, one of his sons jumped in front and was killed instead. This act was so unjust, that Yelm dissolved on the spot, leaving the world in Darkness.

> IMO, Humakti would concentrate upon mastery of one particular
> Cult Weapon (Broadsword, GreatSword, etc.) to the exclusion of
> all others,....

        I know you said IMO, but why did you come to this conclusion? Humakt has the Death Rune, (which is conveniently sword-shaped), not the Two-Handed Sword Rune, or the Rapier Rune...

> Humakt sword style would be precise and linear, skillful at exploiting
> openings and peircing armor.

        That's not how you use a two-hander....

>		...I can also

> see the initiate Humakti who would be a mercenary also learning a fair
> degree of skill in weapons useful in an army and in formations, such as
> a spear or pike of some sort, a dagger or hand axe for close
> in-fighting, and a shield.

        Sort of contradicts your 'one weapon' specialization stuff above, particularly as the short sword is available for close order foramations.

        Do it this way, if that's what you and your players like, but I can't help thining that you haven't thought it through very thoroughly.

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /