Tomatoes

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:03:18 -0400

I was thinking about tomatoes at lunch today.
(Now for some reason I thought that comment
might look odd but I guess it actually does make sense). I've been following the food in Glorantha discussion (sort of) and I couldn't remember whether any thing had been mentioned about tomatoes. I think MGF demands that tomatoes be a Lunar crop. They're perfect as one.

They're red and they' re round! Lunar missionaries could spread their cultivation along with the Word of the Goddess. They could be used a symbol of the Moon itself. Orlanthis could curse them as unfit food for humans or claim they were poisonous (which is what the Europeans thought at first). No decent Orlanthi worth his salt would eat a tomato and naughty children could steal them to throw at passing Lunars. I see scenario ideas where Lunar missionaries try and persuade the locals of the value of the tomato. Crude Lunar soldiers could call them the "Goddess' Apples".
('Cor look at them thar apples!) They could be used as a
replacement for the unwholesome Sartarite apple. (You can make juice out of both. Tomato juice cake anyone?) Perhaps they even originated on the Moon itself?

Phew, I'm glad I got that off my mind now I can go back to having a life.....Please?

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca

P.S. Evenb though they're not a maritime people I think the Lunars should be addicted to garum. Garum was a sauce the Romans adored. It was made from fermented fish entrails and salt and they went to great lengths to obtain supplies of it. (Perhaps they used river fish instead of ocean fish?)

  It could be a potential trade item with Kralorea as well. Maybe the Kralorelans make a special variety the Lunars love. Great scenario ideas too.
Picture the scene. Some Praxians have ambushed a Lunar caravan and recovered its cargo. All they find are two large barrels filled with some noxious smelling substance. Just imagine the looks on their faces.