Support, and RQ2RLDI.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:06:29 +0100 (BST)

Chris Bell writes:
> IMO, HQ Support can take a certain number of forms. In the case of
> Harrek, it seems that performing RW acts that prepare you for repeating
> them on the God Plane can store up a 'reserve' of support points (in the
> case of YAHQ) that can be used to accomplish a specific mythic end.

I don't think that's the sort of thing people are talking about when they say "support". What's being discussed (other participants please correct me if I'm wrong) is the "support" gained by the quester(s) from people _outside_ the quest, or at least, not in it in the obvious sense. The folks back home, as it were. That there are other, entirely different things you can do to help on a HQ isn't in dispute, but seems an entirely different point.

> Performing many "smaller" HQ's to specificially get the tools and
> mythic power you need to attain your ultimate end seems to be an
> alternative to having legions of worshippers to support you...

Yes, I think it is. This is a problem inherent in those HQ rules (such as the Chaosium prototype) in which Free Will is a one-way street (and a downhill one, at that), it seems to me.

> Does anyone remember the old RQ2 method of how Priests could sacrifice
> for DI?

Indeed yes. What a crock that was... One will occassionally see in later material references that seem fishily like hold-overs from those Dark Days, such as talk of "stacking" a spell with a DI. <shudder>

Rather than go back to those benighted times, what I think a DI system ought to aim at is one what provides a better "transition" between (initiate-style) DI, and by-the-book divine magic. I favour doing this by:

     o  Making RM effects of spells you don't know (or otherwise can't
	cast, right this minute) reproducible by a sort of "limited DI".
	(RQ4 proposed this be the _only_ sort of DI available, in fact.)
	This ought to be both easier and cheaper than the full DI monty,
	but co-exist peacably with it, and use a similar mechanism.

     o  Basing the chance for both DI, and "rune spell DI" on not just
	your "free" POW, but also that "bound" with the god you're asking
	the aid of.

     o  However, I'm coming round to the ( PP-like -- thank you, DD ;-) )
	view that traits are more important for DI, so this may swamp the
	above consideration, anyway, or obviate the need for it.

     o  _Possibly_ treating "already learned" RM similarly, basing
	casting chance on POW and traits.  But I'm dithering on that,
	as it may be too much of a change from the existing view of RM
	as nigh-automatic, this side of nimbly falling over your own
	feet in mid-prayer.

Roll well,
Alex.