Troll sorcery, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 06:10:34 -0400

Robert asks:

> Can anyone give me a summary of the sorcery available to Kyger Litor?
> I have the old Trollpack but not the newer RQ3 version which shows
> what sorcery they have access to.

Kyger Litor does not provide any sorcery to trolls. Troll sorcery derives from Arkat Kingtroll, who stole its secrets from stupid humans (who believed for a time that he was one of them). Arkati sorcery includes "Boost Elemental" (intensity adds to elemental's hit points), "Project Darksense" (like other Project [sense] spells), and "See Rune Magic" (similar to Mystic Vision: high intensities allow you to know what rune spells a target has. NB: this is a *very* gross spell).

Apart from those "specials", Troll sorcerers will presumably enjoy learning trollish sorcery: Animate Darkness, Shades, Undead, etc. Differences between different sorcery schools and traditions haven't been well defined in RuneQuest; there isn't really an agreed-upon set of rules (though Sandy's are deservedly popular).

BTW, Robert: I have to envy you if you've managed to avoid getting *any* of the RQ3 printings of the Cult of Kyger Litor! (Maybe we should reprint it in Tales..?)

Carl writes:

> I like surprises.

You might be surprised to learn that your suggestion will *reduce* the number of surprises enjoyed by Humakti on the hero plane. 'Cos if there *is* a single, objectively-real Humakt out there, seven feet tall with black hair and grey eyes (and Armour Class -3 and 400 hit points?), then nobody's going to be that surprised when they meet him and he looks that way. Full marks for trying, but this fails to convince.

(I note in passing that Carl is attacking a subjectivist Straw Man and no longer attempting to follow the debate he initiated. No surprises there, either).

Some Greek chappie pointed out two and a half thousand years ago that the gods of the Greeks look like Greeks, but the gods of the Ethiopians look like Ethiopians. He deduced from this that the gods of donkeys would look like donkeys. This might be rather persuasive, except that the gods of the Egyptians look like weirdoes with animal heads. And the Egyptians don't. Still, that was the dawn of philosophical investigation.=

Under Carl's "surprising" system, the gods of the Kralori would look like=

whatever Carl said they should. And so would the gods of the Doraddi, the=

Orlanthi, the Pelorians, the Hsunchen... and their temple statues, their art, their architecture, their language would all be all homogenised like=

Martin's evocative HOMO MILK, to perfectly match the underlying reality of Carl Fink's surprisingly inventive imagination...

Daft, I calls it.

::::
Nick
::::