Re: Pendragon and Heroquests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:35:40 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Richard writes something which seems Strangely Familiar:
> ENCLOSURE
Please, no more, I give up! Even as we speak, I'm putting a large number of small denomination bills in a brick kiln, waiting until the wind is blowing into the West, and striking a match... Alternatively, do you take Visa?

> I really do not believe that Heroquesting is a Rules Thing - and I
> think it can be handled through roleplaying and PenDragon Pass.

That sounded like something of a Left handed Compliment to the PP rules, and I don't mean in the Draconic sense. ;-)

> My personal advice on running Heroquests is pretty simple.

And jolly good. I think ultimately, Jeff's right; what's most needed for playing a heroquest, on any level, is: knowing the myths; good roleplaying; knowing the myths; understanding the culture concerned; knowing the myths; knowing the myths, and knowing the myths. Did I mention "knowing the myths"? "Game system" would come about #16 on the list. However, I think it is worthwhile to discuss heroquest "game mechanics", not least because I think it helps clarify our collective thinking as to what's "going on" in a HQ, which it's evident there are any number of different "takes" on. If we end up with something that's at least good enough to be a servicable gaming crutch, too, then all the better.

So far this discussion has helped me better conceptualise several elements of of HQing, though I have to admit I'm still at the stage where poking holes in other suggested schemes seems much more feasible than formulating one I'm entirely happy with myself.

At the least, it beats talking about *bjectivism.

> buy Enclosure.

Uncle!

> ["experimental heroquesting" is] like driving through downtown Naples
> without a map, blindfolded and during rush hour. Not a good idea.

Or in extreme cases, Venice.

Glug,
Alex.