Legal Stuff (again)

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:04:15 -0700 (PDT)

Me:
>>I should be
>>able to publish and sell that scenario to anyone

Robin Laws:
>Incorrect. It would be a derivative work, based on
>Greg/Chaosium's and AH's copyrights.

I agree with Alex's later post that the Spider Man example is poor. The notion of a derivative work applies clearly to works of fiction, like comic books and novels, but I assert that it's much less clear for RPGs. An RPG is not, as its essence, a work of fiction -- I don't buy an RPG to read it as a story. I buy an RPG to use as a *tool* that allows me to create my own games (scenarios & campaigns). My own gaming sessions are all derivative works, by your definition, and I suppose Chaosium and AH could sue me right now ...

No, I think Brian Tickler's point (and mine) is that an RPG is sold to allow you to derive material from it -- free of copyright worry. In order to create a scenario, I must use the published maps, descriptions, cults, NPCs, spells, everything -- none of it mine (or very little), all derivative. An RPG is by its nature derivative. Or had I misunderstood the use of RPG sourcebooks when I bought them?

If I'm right that all scenarios used by GMs are derivative, must they cower in fear of legal action? If so, RPGs are dead. If not, let's wander down a path:

  1. I, a GM, derive a scenario from a few RPG sourcebooks.
  2. I run the scenario with some friends.
  3. I lend my write-up to one of those friends. He runs it for yet more friends. The circle widens. It's no longer just a private work in a drawer; it's "published" insofar as quite a few people know about it now. Perhaps a fair number of copies are floating about.

Is my scenario published? If you say no, imagine it makes its way into the hands of every fan of the RPG, purely by being copied and passed around -- maybe at a Con. How is this different from their having bought the scenario from me (aside from money's changing hands)?

Ok, more food for thought. Let's say after step 2 above, I post my scenario to a Web page. Is it published now? I'd say yes. Now, everyone in the universe can get it, immediately and for free. I bet you say I've broken copyright at this point, but how is the means of distribution (paper copies handed around vs. the Web) the determinant for copyright infringement? Remember that I own the copyright to the words written, and if I do not prohibit copying, then that part of the copyright is fine. Perhaps the RPG company can prohibit copies of the derivative work? If so, then they should also prohibit the first copy I make when I write it. RIP RPG.

I'm not a lawyer, so my thinking is based only on common sense, so explain to me why I'm wrong (for surely you'll claim I am) _and_ explain why RPGs are different to other media (or maybe they're the same?).

You'll note I didn't even bring up (until now) the question of _selling_ the scenario for profit. I want to understand the first case before expanding my understanding to the profit case...

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory      Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions       Fax   (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us