Re: Sacred Time; Horn Gate; Issaries

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:58:18 -0700

Paul (Hammersmith?) wrote

> I guess it's the very nature of Sacred Time that seem's to
> be be the crux of my failure to understand. I was working under the
> assumption that this season held importance for Lhankor Mhy and Issaries
> and in a minor way Orlanth. This information I garnered from the
> calander of holy days in CoP which shows 2 high holy days for the first
> two. I do remember that it was a bad time to surf the Puzzel cannal in
> old Pavis as you could end up on the river Styx (not good!)...so is this
> period of time of importance to all cults? What's the deal?

=46rom the Orlanthi perspective: Mythically, Sacred Time is considered outside the year. So in theory, weird things can happen (like your Puzzle Canal example).

More importantly, it's when the world is renewed. All sorts of rites are performed. I believe it's no accident that the short Lightbringers Quest is 14 days long, though I don't think it's performed every Sacred Time.

Now, it's true that Lhankor Mhy and Issaries have holy days during Sacred Time, as does Chalana Arroy. But, they're Lightbringers. I see the entire Sacred Time as connected to the Lightbringers. And who's the #1 Lightbringer? Orlanth. Thus, the whole period is sacred to Orlanth as well, even if there's only one day on which all the men gather to worship together.

The LBQ is in part about rescuing Ernalda, so she probably doesn't have a starring role in the ceremonies. But Ernalda's version of the quest is no doubt somewhat different, even among the Dragon Pass Orlanthi, and she probably does have important supporting roles (to say nothing of preparing the feasts, and preparing the earth to be reborn).

In Jeff Richard's Taming of Dragon Pass Campaign, the Varmandi clan traditionally reorganizes during Sacred Time (usually as a War Clan :-), but I think this is a tradition and not a requirement.

It's a pretty important two week period. There's not much else to do, agriculturally speaking, so most people can devote the time to the ceremonies.

BTW, my version of the sacred calendar is at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/calendar.html>. (Thank goodness my web site both has an index and is searchable!)

> With your statement that the Praxian tribes would gather together at
> sacred time...so are you implying that it is more of a "safety in
> numbers" requirement for protection from spirits on the loose around
> this time rather than shelter from physical elements?

It's not the best time of year, weather-wise, but the Praxians can deal with that. I'm not sure if the Praxians really use the 5 season Theyalan calendar, but the end of the year is no doubt still a magical time, and I'm sure renewal ceremonies are held.

> David Dunham in describing the under passages of horn gate ...

> > As I recall running it, there's a big underground complex, which I
> > portrayed as being seriously scary.

> Chaos? Krarsht? Some sort of Eiritha temple (since I assume it may in
> some way be connected to the Paps to the north since the whole area is
> part of the Eiritha Hills? ) please, please, elaborate.

I don't think there would be any sort of chaos connection. But any underground place is likely to be scary to most people, especially mounted nomads.

Here's an excerpt of the campaign log I kept. The PCs are mostly Grazers, wandering around in Prax on horses; Iaiaasha is a wind child. Barz is a Grazer shaman.

d/17	They saw three triceratops grazing in the Eiritha Hills.
d/18	They arrived at Horn Gate, a settlement around an oasis. Harathi
Mba was at the Chalana Arroy temple; his arm had almost finished healing. He had a lack of enthusiasm for dragon hunting, but agreed to keep his word. Lagola of the Sartarite Colymar tribe was the priestess, and told them about the underground ruins, which supposedly stretched all the way to Yiskoz Mountain, and had once been sealed by Waha with a gate made of horns. The ruins were considered haunted, and on Wildday of Death Week of Dark Season, everyone stayed inside because spirits came out. They decided to stay until then.
d/20 Just at dawn, 12 High Llama riders of the Kalending clan knocked down the gate and started whooping through the oasis. Ch=FBk shot one with a= n
arrow, and they regrouped. Meanwhile, the others frantically put on their armor. Everyone fought well, and Ch=FBk almost prevented the khan and shamaness from fleeing, but was possessed by a passion spirit. Two of the wounded snuck away as well, so they were left with 2 dead and 6 wounded, and 7 llamas. Sheena interrogated the prisoners, who were on a raid of the oasis, and hadn't expected opposition. Danan, the chief of the oasis people, confirmed that Horn Gate was frequently raided, but never fought back. The prisoners said their khan, Vian Hornsaddle, would be back to rescue or ransom them.

        Iaiaasha flew north about half a day, and spotted the High Llama camp, which had about 50 tents.

        They tied a llama near the tunnel mouth. Near midnight, everyone heard an unearthly howling, and Barz saw darkness and earth spirits swarming like bees on a hive.
d/21 The llama was dead, and all its fur had turned black. Iaiaasha's aerial reconnaissance saw no one heading towards the oasis. d/22 Vian Hornsaddle of the Kalending clan arrived with 25 warriors, and ransomed the captives. They bought back their llamas for a scroll and some information.

Jane Williams wrote a good explanation of Pendragon's Pious trait.

> Now, if my interpretation is correct, can anyone tell me why in at least
> one of the standard lists of traits for each deity, Issaries initiates
> are said to be non-pious? How do they ever get any priests?

That's been on my list since at least 1987, so I don't think I can remember my original rationale. I can think of several possible reasons:

  1. The Issaries cult was spread by the God Learners. I have already stated that I consider them Worldly.
  2. The Issaries cult deals with outsiders. It's to their advantage to have a somewhat more open, less superstitious mindset. If you travel to another tribe, you're better off entering their hall even if the motion rune is carved backwards over the threshold.
  3. They're calculating merchants (except in my East Ralios). This suggests Worldly behavior.
  4. In Ralios, it puts them in opposition to Lankoring (who thinks the time of birth determines everything).
  5. In Sartar, it puts them in opposition to Lhankor Mhy (who would be Worldly), since both of them have similar roles and similar virtues.

But I'm open to discussion.

Oh, and they get priests by encouraging people to express the cult virtues: Energetic, Honest, Proud, Suspicious, Worldly. Your Pious example is fine, but probably doesn't make the best priest. He'd make a better zealot.

And I've never seen a standard list. I based mine off a list from Sandy Petersen while he was at Chaosium, but it didn't include any virtues for Issaries.