Visible equinoxes?

From: Malcolm Cohen <malcolm_at_nag.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:09:42 +0000 (BST)

Nick Brooke wrote:
> NB: Sacred Time is celebrated around the Spring Equinox, a very "visible"
> and constant moment in Glorantha, so that even peoples who don't use the
> five-season Theyalan Calendar are likely to have coinciding rituals then.

I must be missing something - what is particularly visible and constant about the spring equinox? I presume it is something special about Glorantha.

I can understand the solstices - but the equinoxes are far less visible in the real world; e.g. in Iceland the obvious candidate would be "fyrsti sumardaginn" [first day of summer - about a month after the equinox]. Though I guess Glorantha does not have such high latitudes (and so the day length is not altering quite so quickly about the equinox).

Cheers,
- --

...........................Malcolm Cohen, NAG Ltd., Oxford, U.K.
                           (malcolm_at_nag.co.uk)