Piety, etc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 20:36:45 +0100 (BST)

Jane W.: explains the Pious trait in a way not too dissimilar to me:
> A very pious person would be the one who insists on sacrificing a coin to
> Issaries before every journey - including the ten yards to the pub. [...]

Sounds about right, though upon reflection, this sort of Piety might be better treated as a "Passion"; it has no real opposite, other than apathy. It's also religion-specific; I could be an initiate of both Orlanth and Issaries, but only observe the latter piously.

> Now, if my interpretation is correct, can anyone tell me why in at least
> one of the standard lists of traits for each deity, Issaries initiates
> are said to be non-pious? How do they ever get any priests?

Presumably, here the intended connotation is that Goldentongues are "Worldly", or not to put too fine a point on it, "Materialistic", rather than being "Impious" in their attitude to their own religion.

Suggested fix: dump Piety. Replace by two, clearly distinct things:

        o A religious observance Passion, Revere [God], say.

	o  A different trait-pair, say, Worldly and Spiritual (for the
	   sake of choosing a different name).

> >Jane Williams, clearly a _Grand_ Master (Mistress?) of Ecky Thump,
> If that was an accusation of being a Northerner, it's way off target.

Not precisely: not all Origami shodan are Japanese, after all. (Though it probably helps.) I was suggesting you evidently had a Keen Appreciation of Matters Lancastrian, to wit, mushy peas and black puddin'. (Perhaps the 3' wide flat cap might be a bit of an overstatement.)

> >> Did you mean having divine *magic* reuseable?
> >D'oh. Yes, sorry, 2LA confusion, cum Freudian typo. I meant "RM".
> ?? 2LA ?
> ?? "RM" ?

Sorry again -- 2LA = "2 Letter Acronym", RM = "Rune Magic".

Overtersely,
Alex.