PenDragonQuest

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:22:18 -0400 (EDT)

Nikk Effingham:

<< Once again I voice my opinion that Pendragon's traits limits roleplaying by forcing dice to make decisions. I especially liked the suggestion that if a player is unsure what his character would do, he should roll a dice to decide. Whatever happened to roleplaying...? >>

    It depends how you use the traits. See Stephen Lucek's post in the same Digest for an excellent illustration of how it *should* be done. Not that Nikk is 'wrong' BTW, as what he's describing is what the rules actually say...

    With all the recent musings on how to employ personality traits in Gloranthan HeroQuests, I think this is more on-topic than it might at first appear. A lot of people seem to be suggesting that traits be used to determine your actions and chance of success on the HeroPlane. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, this destroys one of the important elements of roleplaying. I just don't see how a mechanism like that can be fun for the players to use. The idea of using personality traits is a neat one IMO (and apparently favoured by Greg) but we have to find a way where they enhance roleplaying, not remove it from the equation. Trust me, I've played Pendragon games under both styles of GMing, and what seems to be being suggested at the minute would make HQs tedious to play out, when surely this is the last thing we want?

Forward the glorious Red Army!

      Trotsky