Support your local Heroquester

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 12:40:52 +0100

In Digest #545, Alex writes
> It seems there are different sorts of HQ support, if
>my Gregology serves me correctly. Part of this is indeed "organised" --
>people sitting around the temple lighting candles, chanting, and dodging
>the fragments of exploding idol, that type of thing. But some of it
>seems to be be much more implicit than this -- your family, just by
>their very existance, provides a sort of "support", which is even
>explicitly represented in the G:tG "character sheet" that Greg yammered
>about at Conjunction (way back in '90!), and which later appeared in a
>Tales (#7? later?). He's also talked about it in yet more wooly terms
>- -- the clan tells you "Go do whatever is necessary", and thereby gives
>you (some thus far unquantified) Support, while you're in the HP.

It would certainly seem reasonable to me that sometimes your family/clan are supporting you an a HQ without even realising it, so that, just as when your homeland is beset by incursions of Chaos you go out and Heroquest for Chaos fighting powers, when you are threatened on the Heroplane by big Chos monsters, there are probably Broo running around your farmstead.

This is an extension of the idea that you can be pulled into a Heroquest unwittingly by the "other participant". If your foes can drag you along then your friends certainly ought to be able to!

This also "explains" why, for example, Sartar doesn't suddenly lapse into peace while all the top Orlanthi are off Heroquesting, and then suddenly burst out in rebellion again when they return. Sure, the intensity of the struggle will alter, but how you deal with the Lunars on a day to day basis *will* affect how your allies interact with them on the Heroplane

It is probably why the Orlanthi have that riddle competiton with Sun Worshippers, too. Every interaction is not only "remembering" or "reinacting" the mythological "truth", but may well be "reinforcing" it for active heroquestors too.

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |