Food, Wonderful Food

From: rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:42:49 -0500 (CDT)

Repost #1

Jane Williams wondered:

>>Now, where can I fit Italian, Greek, and Indian cookery?

And Jim Chapin replied,

>Italian cooking (sans tomato and pasta) would be found in
>Ralios.

I think you'd find Italian cooking in Peloria, with the tomatos and the pasta (pasta techniques via Kralorelea, of course. Imported by the Lunar trader Markus Polionus.

Lunars probably love tomato sauce, since it makes everything bland, overly sweet, and, most importantly, red. Ketchup users, every last one of them.

>Greek cooking will be found in Umathela (mainly
>because of the Patriach of Nikosdros).

Hmmm, I've always thought of the Dara Happans as kind of Greeky, although the lands of the Trader Princes in Maniria also could be likely candidates. I suspect the food in the Holy Country is pretty Egyptian/Lebanese, and Greek food's in the same basic family, so why not?

>Indian Cooking (sans
>the chili peppers of the Fire Elves) will be found in Fonrit.
>IMO these are general guides (~75% correct) and not exact
>parallels that ought to be followed in every detail.

IMG the food in Teshnos is suspiciously Indian, complete with chili peppers galore. FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! Make it HOTTER! Yeah! Yeah!

There's a fun scenario hook in one of Steven Brust's books where a huge army of semi-nomadic humans are willing to go to war to secure a region which grows the best peppers in the world. They're vaguely Hungarian and can't live without their paprika. Since the Char-Un horse are Hunnish types who've settled down (more or less), I'd say they're big on sour cream, garlic, and paprika.

Finally, a topic I can sink my teeth into. <General groaning, pelting with fruit.>

Robert