Re: Changing Orlanth

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 97 03:24 MET DST

Boy, how a dysfunctional modem can throw yourself back in the ways of communication...

>Martin Laurie:
>> ???? Of course Orlanthi has changed over time, how =
>> could he not have? For a start, he has not been worshipped =
>> for all time.

It is quite likely that he wasn't known by more than a few clan members before Heort instituted his worship.

>> over time. But according to your argument the REAL Orlanth =
>> was just sitting there unchanged, the same fellow from =
>> before history as now, presumably having a good chuckle???

In fact, we have evidence that Orlanth was changed during the manipulations of Lokamayadon - at least the usual approach to him (certainly a part of a deity, IMO) was drastically altered. And Obduran the Flyer proved that his attitude towards dragons had changed in the EWF era...

Nils Weinander

>Then again, the vast and unfathomable god Orlanth, the
>personification of the natural power of storm,

Is he? ;-)

Really, we know that he is the plowman, a dragonslayer, the son of Kero Fin (in Ralios?), little brother of Humath (?), grandson of Aether (?)... and most of all a cultural deity. As far as I am concerned, he fills the role of the Earth King for Dragon Pass quite well...

>a ruler
>among his peer gods might not be overly concerned with
>the _forms_ his human worship takes.

What peer gods? Erland the Ram, Lanatum the Thunderer? Or do you mean Yelm as worshipped in Hombori Tondo, or Zorak Zoran as worshipped in Tondiji?

>It is stated time and again in this debate that humans
>cannot fully grasp the gods and their minds. Why should
>such a being be changed by the way the puny humans
>approach him?

Which being?

>This is a schoolbook case where different people's
>Gloranthas must vary according to taste, since neither
>theory can be disproved.

Hmm. This puts me in a quite strange position (Alex, how would you classify this?): IMO there is one Glorantha as perceived by its creator (Greg) which may or may not have a definite truth about the nature of Orlanth (or whichever deity). I'm also convinced that in Ralios and possibly even Fronela there are a couple of birthplaces of Orlanth, all authentic, visitable, and heroquestable. At some of these there might even be shadowcats. Most of these places IMO are genuine birthplaces of the local storm deity, which was identified with the One Councilic Storm God at some point in history, proven to be so by heroquesting (not so creative as say the creation of Caladra and Aurelion).