many topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 21:13:46 +1200

Stephen Martin:

>BTW, can we stop referring to anything which people have gotten from Greg
>over the years as coming from Greg's Trashcan or Wastebasket?

No. I find it very useful to describe the nature of the sources in question. If they haven't been published, then they should not be treated as Holy Writ from Upon High that should be adhered to on pain of Defenestration. (The collary BTW does not apply).

>I find it very offensive, not the least
>because the original comment about it a few months ago was directed at
>me.

Look up the origins of the verb 'Greg' and stop being so sensitive. It's not as if it sends out subliminal messages like a certain person should 'go chew a grenade'.

James Frusetta:

>Ducking out briefly from all things good and Uzish -- where, if anywhere,
>in Glorantha is embalming, especially mummification practiced?

The best reference is in the Fonritan writeup in Heros V1 #6 where the holy statue of Dormal is actually that of a mummified Vadeli Admiral. Of course the image I get from this is Lankhmarian rather than Egyptian.

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I don't think that Yelmalio was part of Argrath's Ritual of the Net, since
>this included only the Dead Gods assembled in Hell. Whatever you want to say
>about Yelmalio, Hell is a place he hasn't visited.

If you are talking about the ritual in 'Argrath and the Devil', then it does not take place in hell IMO. Going by Argrath's Saga, the Gods walk the earth *after* Argrath performs the Lightbringers Quest and Argrath explicitly acknowleges that he has already done that in the fragment.

>Apart from all this, the EWF magicians seem to have adopted or developed
>some sort of "sorcery", as in "Delecti the Sorcerer", "City of 10,000
>Magicians", Iffinbinx or Remakerela (horrible word...). This may have been
>similar to Carmanian, Stygian or God Learner Sorcery (which IMO differ in
>certain ways) but might as well have resembled "Godunya's Magic" from GoG.)

I think from the presence of the Western Army in Dragon Pass during the Chaos Wars (cf Arkat cult writeup) and the Malkioni Bishopic in Nochet that the sorcery of the EWF was derived from the sorcery of the West. Delecti is even described as becoming a Magus around 800 ST or so.

Undoubtedly the Lore of the God Learners was much more comprehensive than the EWF but then the EWF 'mapped' sorcerous concepts onto the draconic realm (akin to the Red Goddess's fusion of spirit magic and sorcery). This gave their sorcery a sinster twist and enhanced their control over some draconic effects.

One thing about the EWF sorcery: I've been trying to draw a connection between Delecti's Necromancy and the EWF magics (or between the Remakers and the EWF for that matter). So far the two subjects seems to be totally unrelated. There is the matter of Veleus the Undead who tried to take over the Dara Happan Government after the Dragonkill War.

>>Would [the EWF magic] be sort of Path of Immanent Mastery-ish, or would
>>it be an abstract sort of mysticism?

>I'd prefer the latter, given the fact that the God Learners never managed to
>comprehend the EWF ideas, whereas they seem to have understood the Immanent
>Mastery stuff in their light of their Hsunchen-Hykim construct.

The 'God Learners' (for want of a better name) managed to steal the technique from the Cult of Drolgard and opened up a school in Nochet from whence Vistikos Left-eye learnt it. Even in 1043 ST, there were still hundreds of God Learners (the name is right this time) who knew how to speak Auld Wyrmish (but not for long).

What the God Learners didn't have was the access to the secrets of the Dragons Eye (Vistikos created the Hunting and Waltzing bands after having seen and questioned various things at Dragons Eye). Thus the EWF were capable of things with their magic that the confounded God Learners were incapable of duplicating.

I'm not so sure that the False Dragons Ring ever treated the Immanent Mastery Cult as a Hsunchen cult. If it was then it would have had spells like Transform Head, Transform Body and Transform Limbs instead of the 9 rune spells it currently enjoys. They certainly would have believed that it was descended from a hsunchen cult but that is not the same thing.