Re: Greg's Trashcan

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:56:03 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Martin, man who don't need no rule #2:
> BTW, can we stop referring to anything which people have gotten from Greg
> over the years as coming from Greg's Trashcan or Wastebasket?

Nope, sorry, can't help you there.

> I find it very offensive,

This is scarily like the "Thou shalt not use the word "greg" as a verb" thread of many moons ago. Isn't a bit ridiculous to take umbrage on Greg's behalf at something he'd almost certainly laugh off himself? I can't think of any usages I've seen of this phrase that haven't been on the Whimsical side of Harmless.

One of the leavening things about the Cult of Greg is that as religions go, both the object of worship, and several sections of the Priesthood are quite willing to send themselves (and each other, more to the point) up mercilessly. Taking this stuff Too Seriously is all very well; Greg Forbid that we should be mandated to take it Poe-Facedly, too.

> not the least because the original comment about it a few months
> ago was directed at me.

Ah. Silly me...

Incredulously,
Alex.