Woad.

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Jun 97 06:07:15 EDT

Hi all,

 I must explain about some of the Orlanthi woad rituals that developed from the running of Home of the Bold. Before any battle the men would gather in a dark and rancid sweat lodge (Dan Barker's room), there would be a period of intense conversation about matters of peace, as men settled their affairs before meeting their doom (When is the Mythos tournament?). Each would then boast about their past conflicts, triumphs and bravery (...at Convulsion '92 I....). Then the two priests would prepare the woad (Dan and me), it can in powdered form, carried by the acolyte (Shaun Applby). It was then placed within the sacred goblet (a tooth mug) and to it was added the water of life (with added flourine and chlorine) and the lifeseed of a cuck (otherwise known as Safeway roast chicken grease). Then with ancient magic the woad would be applied, in bands, in swirls, in runes and patterns handed down through generations (from last Convulsion), throughout this time the heat would rise through the sweatlodge as more young braves gathered to be adorned. Throughout their would be the ritual chant ("does it look okay? Is it running?, Do I scare you?") and then with great ceremony the priests turned to one another to apply the final scraps of woad to one another ("Theres none left!")........

 Into the light they ran, bare feet slapping against the hard ground, oblivious to all but the enemy and the from all rang the great war cry, "I wished I had put something on under this kilt!"..........

 Eight hours later, the effects of the woad are fading, in great blue streaks it puddles in navels, between toes and in ears, and so to the lake they go (showers) singing the ritual cleansing song. (How do you get this shit off? Got any shampoo?)...

 Finally after a night of feasting, the world returns to peace..until that is the high priestess of Ernalda (the cleaner) sees the state of the shower block!

Cheers Simon.