Re: Orlanth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 11:19:04 -0700

Joerg wrote of Orlanth

> we know that he is the plowman, a dragonslayer, the son of Kero Fin
> (in Ralios?), little brother of Humath (?)

I believe he is indeed known as the son of Kero Fin in Ralios -- everyone knows he wasn't born in Ralios, but came from over the mountains. And in the Second Age, at least, a fair number of Orlanthi travelled from Ralios to Dragon Pass.

Also, Broken Council Guidebook refers to "the twin storm gods, Orlanth and Humath." [9]

I don't think their twin-ship requires them to be born in the same place, or even necessarily of the same mother (though perhaps Humath is said to be from Top of the World, which would fit with the North Wind image he often has).

While looking up this reference, I noticed "Odayala the Storm Hunter" on the previous page. He's a Skanthing/Syliling deity I missed in previous readings.