RMHQS.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 01:27:03 +0100 (BST)

Richard Melvin gives a Free Will example:
> Hengvik the Storm Voice has 18 POW and 21 points of castable/regainable
> rune magic. He also has an 8-point shield spell active on the Orlanth-
> role in the Stealing the Sandals myth at his local temple[5].

Footnote 5 out of 3?

LaTeX Warning: Label(s) may have changed. Rerun to get cross-references right.

If I read you right, you're saying that he (or _everybody_ in the temple?) has a Shield VIII up when he does the Sandals of Darkness quest, but not otherwise? I don't think I see the logic of that. Is there some instrinsic (or now-established) connection between Shield and this Quest, in a way embodied in the myth/Path, or is this just some sort of "saved position" he has in the quest?

> 10 came came from personal POW sacrifices previously made and
> since regained.

This is POW sacking for some spell or effect, or more like a "blood transfusion to his future self"? You appear to imply the latter, but I'm struggling to see the game world intuition behind the mechanic.

> You have become the idea of the death of an empire.

Snappy line. ;-) What's counterintuitive about the example is that it implies that a much-supported HQer like Argrath has far less free will than a freelancer like Harrek, while anecdote would lead one to believe the reverse. ("You say you rolled a critical on your Hate (Everything) Passion _again_, Harrek?")

> There _is_ one way you could regain your free will. Cancel all your
> magic cast on the hero-plane, and renounce all your powers[3].

Precendent/motivation for being able to do this?

> Without people like Hengvik this would be a real quest, not just
> a routine 'pay-the-cost-and-take-the-rune-magic' job.

You mean that it requires that the Hero _has_ done it, and that a cult to him remains (standard Hero Cult schtick), or some other effect involving an _active_ HQer?

Querulously,
Alex.