Are you feeling [Emotion], punk?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 03:46:57 +0100 (BST)

Nick "Derivative Work" Brooke types:
> [about 50 lines of Protected Expression]

Well, all that quoting supports at least one of my points: they haven't changed a deuced word of those rules since the 3rd edition. ;-) (Though they've moved about 85 pages, so they're at least padding 'em out well.)

> Hang on: are we talking about the same game system, here? Pendragon makes
> it clear that *only* when a Trait is above 15 does the player lose *any*
> control over his character's actions.

OK, granted, I didn't qualify my remarks to this effect, but I was thinking about the case of Famous traits, Faerie and/or such "special circumstances". Once in "The Zone", a suitably obsessive-compulsive ref. can bombard a player with trait rolls, with only some rather lukewarm injunctions against over-doing this. ("Necessary to the plot" is the last resort of the movie star with no clothes and the ref. with no scruples...)

My point about opposed trait rolls was that _if_ they're required, leaving aside when they might be, they provide a very narrow "free choice" window. Rather than having a huge breakpoint at 15, it might be preferable to have a "sliding scale" which does allow a significantlysized  Do What Thou Wilt result for people on either side of the Great Divide of No Forced Trait Rolls vs. All You Can Eat.

Of course, the same breakpoint does apply to certain game-mechanical goodies, so perhaps sauce for the goose... This may be less applicable in other settings, though, so it should at least be borne in mind.

> : Success in a trait roll indicates that the knight felt, and was moved
> : by, the feelings expressed in the trait.

Now read, for comparison, what it says for criticals. ;-) (I know, the moral of the story is, if you're not _forced_ to make a Trait roll, never volunteer for anything.)

I, personally, have never thought that there was a big problem with the rules, but I hesitate to argue over-vociferously with those who have felt abused thereby; if it happens, it happens, the customer is always right, and all that. I wouldn't advocate more than mild tinkering, and (even) bigger warning notices, though.

In particular, I've heard _many_ people say that Storyteller is less obnoxious in some usch respects -- but I know next to nothing that system, and for once, I _will_ let that stop me.

Slainte,
Alex.