Wastebaskets

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:37:21 +0000

Steve asks, quiite rightly in my opinion, that we stop referring to Greg's unpublished snippets of information as being from his wastebasket. I'm not at all convinced that anyone was doing so in a derogatory way: I suspect a comparison was being made with the huge volumes of Tolkein's works that have been published over the last few years.

But the term is, after all, inaccurate. Items from Greg's wastebasket would be those which he has discarded as worthless. The ones we're discussing are those which he is still working on but has yet to publish. Almost at the opposite end of the creative cycle, in fact. Quite clearly none of us regard them as worthless-by-definition, or we wouldn't be pouncing on every scrap with cries of glee.

A new term is needed: Greg's Pending Tray? Greg's Notebook? Greg's To-Do-List? Greg's Drawing-Board? Greg's Library (with all that implies in terms of an L.M. filing system?)

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml