Eurmal, troll sorcerers

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:33:20 -0800

thrill to another clash between David C and Peter Metcalfe..

> The Firebringer is the aspect of Eurmal when he is
>worshipped with the other Lightbringers (and the other aspects of
>his are firmly given the boot).

        Not quite, Peter. Not only is the Seducer aspect spell the spell Eurmal grants to his associated lightbringers, but the seducer aspect is the one that Eurmal actually uses on the Lightbringer Quest, when he seduces Sinjota to allow Orlanth to kill her partner Kaldar. So I think the seducer aspect of Eurmal is worshipped, if somewhat grudgingly, by the Lightbringers. Even if they don't like it, they are going to 'worship' that aspect of Eurmal every Sacred Time.

>> Personally, I think few KL priestesses can join the cult of Arkat
>>because being a Priestess and being a sorcerer (even an apprentice
>>sorcerer) are both regarded as full time occupations.
>
>This is simply an argument from the roolz.

        Rubbish. I simply think that Arkati only accept serious students, not hobbyists, even if they are priestesses. Not a rules argument, a social one.

[being an Arkati is a full time occupation]
>I don't buy this. Some trolls will be full-time Arkati officials and
>sorcerers but most will be part-timers (ie the roolz student level)
>waiting to help a cult official in need after he gives the secret
>handshake.

        Personally, I think that that the Arkat cult is a different one to the Arkat Kingtroll sorcerer cult described in TG. And there are a few more versions out there. In areas like Halikiv and Guhan, where the Arkati are a widespread organisation, I think there are lots of lower ranked members, and your conception is pretty much correct - far away from cult centres of power, though, most Arkati are full timers. The difference is that in Halikiv, uz join the cult because its a powerful and influential cult and they want in to this mysterious secret society with so much influence. In Dagori Inkarth, uz join the cult because they want to become sorcerers (and they are accepted because the sorcerers want apprentices).

        Of course, I'd be very surprised if either of us can come up with anything to back up out points of view other than the Troll Gods cult writeup, which you've already expressed your dissatisfaction with, so I think we might as well leave it there.

        Cheers

                David