Crashing the heroquest party....

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:54:45 -0800

        OK, I've been quite on this one. Mostly because I've been two busy. But laid up at home with a cold, I feel like having a say.

        The slowly decreasing WILL mechanic was a clumsy attempt to capture the idea that Gods have no free will and humans do. There are better mechanics for representing that, and apart from nostalgia for early failed heroquest drafts (which most of us never played) I can see little to recommend it.

        Most importantly, it seems there is extraordinarily ample evidence, from any number of sources (Harmast, Hon-Eel, Arkat,the Pharoah, and so on), that experience with heroquesting increases, not decreases, ability to perform further major heroquests. Anyone want to take a stab at reconciling this with the WILL payment mechanic? The only explanation I have heard so far is that all these individuals must have access to the Infinity rune, which seems rather a cop out (especially as no one really believes in infinity runes, at least as a necessary superheroic attribute, anymore).

        Alex F, as usual, has made this same point more eloquently than I.

>That information is not available at your security clearance.
>
>And is certainly not going to be available to PCs.
>
>But is needed to account for certain phenomena.

        In other words, my mechanics don't actually explain observed Glorantha, but I have a back door to explain to my PCs why the NPCs don't have to follow the rules? Forgive my scepticism, but surely heroquest mechanics should mimic known Glorantha without kludging like the Infinity Rune.

Mr Malcolm
>Anyway, if we want to go with a single "WILL" stat, I think it is
>probably better to junk all of the INFLUENCE characteristics of it;
>i.e., use WILL to "make the decision" and have the GM hand-wave the
>effects of support/POW/whatever.

        And this alternative seems to me the worst possible solution - reducing the subtleties of the roleplaying aspects into the value of a single number, while winging the magical manouvering aspects, which are where I really feel I DO need mechanics, in order to adjudicated opposed heroquests.

        I agree very strongly with Alex in the question of how practical heroquest mechanics might work, though I have a fair few other idea (there are some ideas along these lines on my web page http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~cake/glorantha.html ). I think my main objective, though, it to convince people to break away from ideas Chaosium have already rejected
Mike Cule says
> the mechanics I'm proposing are trying to reflect what Greg says
>about how HQ works and the observable facts about Glorantha.

        but unfortunately, Mike, they look a lot like the mechanics that Greg has already well and truly rejected. Gregs thoughts have evolved a great deal from those days, I think.

>I note what you say about Chaosium's hostility to the single Free Will
>characteristic. But I think we can use this model to talk about the
>issues involved in all mechanics. (And in fact we are.)

        Well, OK, as long as you aren't suggesting we actually use it! Its certainly proved a great starting point for discussion.

        Re-Enactment vs Experimental - I think the main thing is that the Experimental are a hell of a lot more dangerous, and its a lot harder to drum up some Support for an experimental one unless there is a good reason. I don't think that the distinction is as cut and dried as it has been painted.

        Most heroquests are trying to re-enact myths that are known in only fragmentary or incomplete forms. Even if you have a really good report of one successful heroquest, that is no guarantee at all that everything will go exactly that way when you try it. And often, you don't really understand what you do have. And even if you do know it all, say you are acting out a really well known myth (not the LBQ, which is way too big and complex, but say the dragon fighting Heler quest) you have to anticipate how the various quest stations and preparations can best be fitted to your own situations. Its a continuum, from the well known to little known quests, not a distinct dichotomy (and then obviously, Arkati quests are similar except you are combining myths from multiple cults not a single one).

        I kind of wish everyone could read Harmasts Saga! It certainly made a couple of very useful points about heroquesting to me. The two main points being, that even the big famous quests are put together out of fragmentary myths in practice, and that even knowing the myths well still is no guarantee that following the path will be easy - even very small mistakes are disastrous - which only reinforces the danger of heroquesting without a myth to follow.

Mike Cule on the Sacred Time
>In my opinion, the Sacred Time is the celebration of the Dance of the
>World. Everything, even the things that want to unravel it altogether,
>comes together to reweave and repair the Web of Arachne Solara.

        Except the part in the reweaving of the unravellers is to attempt to unravel, get their butt kicked, and get rewoven into the web anyway...

        Cheers

                David