PenDragonQuest

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:06:42 -0400 (EDT)

Peter:
<<Each _rune_ would have trait affiliations too, and when a HQ tied
him/herself to a rune, the relevant traits would become set at extreme levels (this ties in with loss of Free Will as discussed at length). Of course, extreme scores in the right sort of traits would be necessary to tie to the rune initially.>>

    Hmm... interesting... but what traits are we talking about? This is easy to see for runes such as Truth, Illusion, Harmony or Life, but I'm not sure about many others. Death, for instance. I initially thought 'Courage', and then something related to readiness to fight. Which may be fine for Humakt, Zorak Zoran and so on, but it doesn't really apply to Ty Kora Tek. And what about the element runes? One tends to think, 'Air = Orlanthi virtues' , but I assume Molanni and Entekos both have the air rune (though I could be wrong, never having seen a cult write-up of either) and yet put a different meaning on it.

     What I'm saying is, I don't think every cult, let alone every culture, puts the same meaning on a given rune. This may well be what Peter meant, but he doesn't specifically say so.

<<I do use it in my campaign, and don't (currently) let the players see
their traits (we don't make rolls on them either, but it is important for initiation/rune level stuff etc), which seems to work fine.>>

     Now that I could go along with. Seems a lot better than some of what has been proposed. I'd go along with Jose Ramos' related point, too.

Steven Barnes:
<<Also, my limited experience with Traits as a GM was that despite being
generous with checks, not much progress was being made towards having Rune Lord level traits (score of 16 or more). >>

    Interestingly this seems the opposite of the problem most other posters have encountered. In several years of Pendragon GMing and playing, I can't say I ever had this problem. One GM essentially forced you to start off with most of your traits at that level, so maybe he'd encountered it before and was using a 'sledgehammer' approach to fixing it. I wouldn't advocate this solution myself, though!

Nick:
<< My Compu$erve mailing software handles Big Digests (>24K or so) worse
than the itty-bitty 20K ones we're used to. I for one would prefer no change to the current Digest size. Frequent Dailies indicates interest and activity on the list, not a failure in the digesting software.>>

    As an AOL user, I second that motion.