HQ RM, and meta-meta-comment.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:55:38 +0100 (BST)

Richard Melvin admits he's "wrong", but:
> my version is mythically correct

That was the "We Hate Darjiin Usurpers" mob's excuse, too. ;-)

[Shield in Sandals of Darkness quest]
> Yes, everyone in his temple has that spell (and probably others, from
> other people) cast on them when they reenact that myth[1].

> [1] Probably during the 'Arming of Orlanth' bit.

That was the the Appropriate Myth that sprung to my mind too, though it's probably getting into the situation I talked about elsewhere, "grafting" parts of one myth (and hence Quest) onto another. So I'd say what happens is that you're effectively creating/helping cause/agititating for (depending on scale of quest) a variation on the usual myth, which you're making (at least somewhat) easier for the next person to do, if they're so minded, though not causing that effect automagically.

One way of handling this would be to say that the existance of this preparatory ritual gives a mythic "excuse" for your priest (or whomever), acting in the role of your Heler companion, to cast Shield (say) on you.

> This may be why it's common to so many different myths

The Beatific Greg had a more prosaic explanation... There's really only one way to put on a set of armour.

> spells cast here may take effect on all myths that start in this way.

That's an interesting point, and I suspect I agree. Though I'd recast it in terms such as "widening the common path", rather than making this an automatic (or freebie) effect.

I like the idea of HP RM spells being effectively one-use, though I still think the question of _what_ RM can be cast on the HP is open, not to say vague. (Not to say how best to represent their long-term effects.) Perhaps the typical Rune Spell Quest has (among others) two variations:

	o  the Rune Priest path, which concentrates on becoming
	   a Channel for that magic, and which lets you use it reusably,
	   guide others to obtaining the same spell, etc.  This route
	   (in itself, at least) doesn't allow you to manifest the
	   Power on the HeroPlane.

	o  the Rune Lord path (cum proto-Hero), which emphasises
	   Embodying the magic, in ways which affect the quester
	   himself, and enables the use of that power on the HP.
	   Not included: willy-nilly use of reusable RM in the
	   Inner World.

This goes back to the personal/social thing again, sort of. Making sense to anyone? I'm trying, really, to steer a middle way between saying "no RM on HP" (old Chaosium rules), and not distinguishing between HP and mundane world in this respect at all.

Ob. Mythic content: I suspect that the (usual) "correct" version of PlimsolQuest is one involving Orlanth in stealth-mode, and _not_ getting spotted (and by immediate implication, clobbered), by Her Kygership. Shield XXXX is always a handy precaution if you: a) are from New South Wales; b) fumble your Sneak roll; c) have a local myth variant foregoing the subtle approach. Some version of the Erotocomatose Lucidity XVII sort might be favoured by the Kitori, according to some interpretations of them. (Though I think more people favoured having KL married to Argan Argar...)

[sacked POW effecting traits]
> Just POW sacking for rune spells - I'm assuming that POW sacked in this
> way is not lost, but simply goes towards making up the rune-magic
> equvalent of a shaman's fetch or sorceror's vessel (or whtever it's
> called nowadays).

I see what you mean, yes. I'd agree with numerous Previous Callers, then, that would tend to (further) "pull" you towards the traits associated with the god, or with the particular magic, rather than anchoring you to your previous self.

[Harrek's free will suvberted by his Hate (Everything) Passion]
> I'm not sure about this - I thought Harrek was a misspelling of Conan,
> and surely Conan is the definitive adolescent free-will power fantasy,
> doing exactly what _he_ wants to do, with no responsibilities and no
> parents^h^h^h gods to tell him what to do?

Ah, but in terms of that analogy, his _hormones_ dictate what he must do.

[regaining free will in a Battle with Oneself]
> Cheesy comic books (e.g. Superman IV).

Oh no! I can see it now, Evil Twin episodes of Star Trek!

Jeff Richard:
> Second, although I think the rules discussion about heroquesting has some
> point, it misses the main point - HEROQUESTING IS ABOUT MYTH.

I don't think we're missing this point: I thought by saying it six or so times in one post, I'd be safe for a few more... However, just as the fact that COMBAT IS ABOUT VIOLENCE is no reason to drop the dice and punch the GM in the throat(*), entering the realm of myth isn't necessarily something which can't benefit from _some_ level of gamemechanical  support.

Having said that, I do fully expect that discussions of this sort will throw up concepts which I think are True, but not worth implementing as game mechanics; game mechanics that seem reasonable approximations of reality, but which aren't really suitable to include in a suitably modest-sized set of rules; and if it ever comes to that, settle on HeroQuest rules that I will proceed to in whole or in part ignore in yer actual play-type-thing. Exactly like any other area of the rules, in other words. (Or is that just me?)

> Further, heroquesting is not an exercise in power-gaming. It is not the
> "next level" of power - my carls, godi and thanes are inveterate
> "heroquesters". [...]

This is specifically why some of us are suggesting mechanics which get away from the idea of Finite Types of HeroQuest. I want a set of rules that can be as readily applied to the range of things Jeff mentions as to Harrek abseiling into Glamour.

Not everyone is going to be happy with a No System System; because of the undoubted truth that no system can do Everything, it'd be wrong to conclude that the system ought to do Nothing (or its next-door neighbour).

In Myth and Mechanics,
Alex.
- --
(*) Well, only on occassion is it _sufficient_ reason, in any case.