HeroQuest Truth into Others' Reality

From: Paul Williams <Philologos_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 97 22:31:35 UT

Michael Cule wrote:

>Now ask the next question:
>
>You've come back from the Hero Plane and established your new Quest as
>the reality for your particular temple. Or you've established a new Cult
>altogether. The next stage is (isn't it?) to make the myth you have made
>a truth for everybody. Can we come up with some sort of guidelines for
>growth of a cult's power? I think they can only be guidelines not firm
>rules.
>
>There are heroes whose cult never spread beyond a particular region such
>as whatshisname Greydog and his Undead destroying cohorts and there is
>on the other extreme the Red Goddess who went from a back room at a pub
>to being nearly the Big Red Cheese for all of Glorantha.

(/LURK) I agree that there should not be firm rules for this. As a guideline to help establish your guidelines, if it helps to look at other games that have handled this kind of thing, then I suggest a quick shufti at the guidelines in TORG for the 'telling of stories' that players have to do. In order to convince enough people of the truth of a 'story' (which is a recounting of the players own heroic actions in fighting on a different plane of reality), and thereby change reality (back towards what it used to be - Core Earth Reality), they have to go out and collar the people and tell the story. The players are helped in this storytelling if they have met certain criteria during the adventure (substitute 'HeroQuesting'). The card system used by TORG has provision for players to take added risks or make extra sacrifices that make the current adventure less easy, with a trade-off being that this action carries some kind of selflessness, or greater impact for the people of Earth, and so will add to the effective resonance of their storytelling should they survive and get back to tell the stories. I don't think implementing it in Glorantha should be any more complicated than that, except to be more culturally specific to the Quester, their culture, and what they might be trying to achieve.
I don't know if G:tG will use cards or not... :) but it shouldn't be too hard for GMs to come up with situations where HQ'ers can can do something unexpected to add to the impact of what they've done when they get back home. Indeed, all that 're-enactment' stuff probably resonates on just this sort of level, only its usually more premeditated. But there should be opportunities for the astute HQ'er to turn something to their advantage and incorporate it into the future pantheon.

Anyway, just a suggestion for a guideline to a guideline. It's my first post to this list, so please be gentle with me....

Paul.

P.S. Did I _really_ see someone trying to sell Pavis, Big Rubble & Borderlands for two hundred and forty pounds on this list a few days ago?!!! Or was it a typing error? I'm sitting on a goldmine if it's true..... but hands off, I'm not selling a single word of it!