Re: Divine magic HQs

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:54:12 +0000

Alex Ferguson came up with a nice distinction:
> o the Rune Priest path, which concentrates on becoming
> a Channel for that magic, and which lets you use it reusably,
> guide others to obtaining the same spell, etc. This route
> (in itself, at least) doesn't allow you to manifest the
> Power on the HeroPlane.

> o the Rune Lord path (cum proto-Hero), which emphasises
> Embodying the magic, in ways which affect the quester
> himself, and enables the use of that power on the HP.
> Not included: willy-nilly use of reusable RM in the
> Inner World.

I like this idea. Not sure how playable it would be, but it does sound good. But.....

  1. This implies that all cults have both paths available )otherwise they will have either no priests, or no heroes). Very few cults as documented actually have both a Priest rank and a Rune Lord rank. And there was a strong suggestion floating around that any cult that did had merged from two others. Are you saying that for cults with only one rank, that rank counts as both, they just have to choose which they're going for todaay?
  2. Suppose someone's both a priest and a RL? If they have, say Shield reuseably as a priest, do they have to sacrifice all over again to use it on the HP? Or could they choose to "burn it up" on a HQ?
  3. Did I understand you to be saying that only the Priest route allows you to teach the spell? If so, how does anyone learn the RL version, since there can be no teachers?
Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml