Jar-eel and Sartar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 97 22:00 MET DST

Carl Fink on Lunar "Friendship"

>Ian or Katts <ianw_at_zed.com.au>
>> Now, marry one of the Red Goddesses Daughters off onto Orlanth and/or
>> into Orlanth's pantheon ... I think Jar-Eel'd get on quite well with
>> Sartar's mythic family, myself.

>Yes, she might get on with his mythic family, as opposed to his actual
>family WHO SHE PERSONALLY MASSACRED.

You can fault her for a lot of things she did in Dragon Pass, but I don't think that you can blame this on her. While it is true that she was among the Lunar priestesses who scaled the mountains surrounding Boldhome (and who fought off the flying Orlanthi relief forces), there is no mention of seven-year-old Jar-eel (same age as Harsaltar...) as executioner of any of the Household of Death members (including Salinarg, his wife, and his children, if I recall correctly). The Red Emperor offed Harsaltar (indirectly), the rest died anonymously in battle.

>She did her best to *exterminate* the House of Sartar,

After the fall of Boldhome a flood of "Lunar gentlemen" went to the Holy Country to assassinate the extended royal family of Sartar. Few returned, but even fewer members of the Sartar bloodline survived. No mention of a seven-year-old girl joining them...

>but you think she could easily marry into it?

By 1621, at age 26 or so, she might, provided you pull up a suitable candidate. Not that unwashed Storm Voice in Pavis, please, and while she _is_ a Lunar, Kallyr won't do either. As for Temertain...

Really, the last action Jar-eel had taken in the region was her scouting of the Holy Country during 1616, with the effect that Belintar failed to reappear. Now Sartar and Belintar had a falling-out when Sartar became King of Dragon Pass...

Also note that the majority of the immigrants to Dragon Pass were thoroughly anti-pharaonic (i.e. anti-change). This makes Sartar's good acceptance among the Quivini a greater feat than documented, after all he started the business as the Pharaoh's agent in DP.