The return of Sacred Time...

From: House Hammersmith <hammer-s_at_odyssey.com.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 09:47:28 +1000

Greetings all; once more I harp on about the nature of Sacred Time (in Prax) and the Theyalan calander and generally ask dumb questions...... and I once again offer my thanks to Michael Cule, Nick Brooke and David Dunham; I now have at least a clearer view of Horn Gate.

Nick Brooke:
> Sacred Time is when the world is reborn. Cults of Prax says:
> "Activities halt at this time and the world sets aside its daily life >to suffer the death and rebirth of the cosmos in the ritual and real >re-enactment of the Lightbringers' Journey. This is necessary to >replenish the world, for incorporating the entropy of Chaos into the >living world structure is agreed to in the Great Compromise. To live, >one must descend into death and be reborn. Enlightenment, even for the >cosmos, lies in its rebirth. The necessity of all persons to >participate in these annual ceremonies and their commitment to them >greater integrates the participants in the world, and with it comes an >unconscious understanding of the mythic cosmic balance. This is a major >factor in the high level of mana generation and usage in Glorantha."

Yes this all makes good sense from an Orlanthi PoV; and this is the problem. Out on Prax where Waha and Eiritha run the show for the tribes,(Waha covers all the social aspects of Orlanth?) neither of them is a LBer so why would they subscribe to the above passage? I know that they are related in a distant sense to Orlanth; but do we have any myths to explain it?

David Dunham:
Gives a good explaination of what the Satar Orlanthi get up to over Sacred Time....does this also include non-LBer also?
> It's a pretty important two week period. There's not much else to do,
> agriculturally speaking, so most people can devote the time to the
> ceremonies.

 But what if your not stationary and rely on herds not crops for sustainance?
> It's not the best time of year, weather-wise, but the Praxians can >deal with that. I'm not sure if the Praxians really use the 5 season >Theyalan calendar, but the end of the year is no doubt still a magical >time, and I'm sure renewal ceremonies are held.
 Yes, but I feel the level of importance of sacred time would be reduced significantly for a Praxian nomad as opposed to the Orlanthi due to the differences in their myths; or does Waha adhere to the Orlanth foundation myths? CoP seems to give the impression that they are pretty well separate entities. I agree that the Praxians would probably have no use for a Theyalan calander; they would probably just have a seasonal calander. They have no written language after all so wouldn't that make book keeping a bugger?

Michael Cule:
> In my opinion, the Sacred Time is the celebration of the Dance of the
> World. Everything, even the things that want to unravel it altogether,
> comes together to reweave and repair the Web of Arachne Solara. They
> tell the tales, they sing the songs, they re-enact the myths. And if
> they do it right, the sun will rise again over Glorantha.
> (And if you have read Terry Pratchett's HOGFATHER you know what will
> rise if they don't....)
> They make their cults real again for the next year. That's what I >think.
 I have indeed read Hog Father, and all you have said makes sense. I have but one question on this point. What would be the Pelorian take on this period of time then, given that the Red Goddess not being part of the compromise is not bound into the LB myth cycle until after the advent of time? On that point what would the relationship be for any non-LB alligned cult for that matter?
Enough rambling for now; I think I'll go have a lie down. Ta! Paul Johnson.