GloranthaCon 5 Events

From: Paul Heinz <paul_at_scalable.bc.ca>
Date: Thu Jul 3 05:17:09 1997

Hi, fellow Glorathaphiles.

Here is the current event list for GloranthaCon 5 which is being held in Victoria, B.C. in late July. This is subject to change but will give you a feel for what we have on offer.

For registration details, please contact Ne-Eel the Computeress via the following:

Neil Robinson          Glorantha-Con V net rep.  July 25-27 1997
neilr_at_wolfenet.com     Come visit our web site!
Seattle, WA  USA

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/con5/gcon5.htm

TTFN,
  Paul.

Event Abstracts

Fri 5:00pm Registration
The registration desk will open at 5:00pm to give attendees plenty of time to register in time for the official opening.

Fri:7:00pm Opening and Introduction
The official opening of the convention. We will be welcoming you all and introducing our many esteemed Gloranthan luminaries from continents far and wide so you will all be able to put a few faces to names. We will also be introducing the convention committee members.

Fri 7:30pm Welcoming The Goddess
Take part in a co-operative ritual to welcome the Red Goddess to the Descended Island Kingdom of Vancouver. Rumour has it that a number of rival hero questers are enlisting supporters to either welcome or resist the lunar entourage.

Fri 10:00pm Sing-a-long with Nick
Nick Brooke of the Tales crew will host this sing-a-long of various Glorantha inspired ditties. Words will be provided (for those that care about such things). Good singing voices are optional.

Sat 9:00am King of Sartar Panel
Stephen Martin, Greg Stafford, and others will host this seminar on Greg's Gloranthan novel `King of Sartar'. Bring your favourite opinion about what really happened and who is the true Argrath. Or is there more than one?

Sat 9:00am Gloranthan Minis
Roderick Robertson will host this exposition of his rules for Gloranthan miniatures. Scenario to be determined.

Sat 10:00am Glorantha Lore Auction
Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen will be graciously offering answers to your hottest Gloranthan questions for the cost of $1 Canadian dollar per question. Certain questions are off limits (e.g. `What is the God Learner secret?') and will not be answered and your dollar will be refunded.

Sat 11:00am Is It True That.?
An immediate feedback seminar with Greg Stafford. Participants get one minute to present their Gloranthan theory, idea, myth, or adventure seed. Then Greg spends three to four minutes discussing the idea and letting its creator know whether Greg thinks they're on the right track. Obviously participants should have any necessary text-notes prepared beforehand.

Sat 11:00am Magic in Pendragon: Mummery, Mystery, and Majesty This session will be hosted by Michael Schwartz and will focus on the role of the Magician in Pendragon, Chaosium's award-winning game of knightly valour and courtly romance in Arthurian Britain and beyond.

Sat 1:00pm Arachne Solara's Web
Members of the Con Committee will host this seminar on where to find a wealth of Glorantha and other Chaosium game information on the World Wide Web.

Sat 1:00pm Life of Moonson
The Reaching Moon Megacorp's feature LARP centred around the intrigue of the Imperial Lunar Court. Come experience the august divine personage of our glorious Red Emperor, Takanegi, the Moonson Imperator himself. Is he truly our divine ruler or just another `very naughty boy?'

Sat 2:00pm Nephilim and Elric
Eric Rowe will talk about Chaosium's other great role-playing games, Nephilim and Elric! Nephilim is Chaosium's game focussed in the arcane and the occult and the powerful beings that walk among us. Elric brings to life the epic world of Michael Moorcook's Young Kingdoms and other fantastic worlds.

Sat 3:00pm Making Glorantha Up
This session will be a forum for discussion about making up your own stuff for Glorantha, whether it's meant to fit in with the `official line' or your personal vision you've followed to flesh out your Glorantha and make it your own.

Sat 4:00pm People's Podium
An audience focused session where anyone can come and bring along their pet peeve, favourite soapbox topic, or whatever about things Gloranthan and otherwise.

Sat 7:00pm GMing Glorantha
Glorantha is a challenging world to GM. This session will be a forum for sharing tips, experiences, and suggestions on offering the Gloranthan experience. Input from both the panel (which will include Sandy Petersen.) and the audience will be welcome.

Sat 6:00pm Mythos
Come and experience Chaosium's collectable card game of Cthulhoid horror. Demonstration games will be run and potentially a tourney to follow. Feel free to bring your own deck and don't forget to tighten your straitjacket!

Sat 8:00pm Rules Are Okay Too!
A chance for all the rules fans to buck the system-less trend and discuss your pet peeves, favourite house rules, rule modifications, and new approaches to rules for gaming in and enjoying Glorantha.

Sat 9:00pm Sandy on Horror
Sandy Petersen, the master of horror who brought us Call of Cthulhu and helped bring us the computer games Doom and Quake, hosts this discussion on all things Cthulhoid, horrific, squamous and rugose.

Sun 9:00am Cultural Exchange
The infamous Nick Brooke and others from the Tales crew host this seminar where any and all theories and observations about Glorantha are welcome. Especially welcome are the controversial, non-canon or even downright wacky favourites you've felt just are just so outrageous that they must be true.

Sun 9:00am Red Devastation Minis
Rob Smith and John Medway bring us their Red Devesation! miniatures rules for their game of "Fantasy Warfare on an Epic Scale". Experience the thrill of massed battle and see the game in action and talk with the designers.

Sun 10:00am Meet the Megacorp
This seminar will be a chance to catch up with the members of the Reaching Moon Megacorp and see what great things are planned by these steadfast guardians of the Gloranthan Way.

Sun 11:00am Trollball!
Come and enjoy a taste of Canadian rules Live Action Trollball! Bring your own inflatable toy, join a team, and compete for the favour of the lovely [sic] Xiola Umbar priestess. This is Canada so remember to end every sentence with an `Eh?' and to keep your stick on the trollkin!

Sun 1:00pm What's up with Chaosium
Chaosium's own Rob Heinsoo will host this seminar where you can find out the `real oil' about what Chaosium has been doing lately and where Chaosium is headed in the future. And all straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Sun 12:00am Fall of the House of Malan
The Pacific Northwest Farmers Collective's feature LARP. Come and experience the feuds, in-fighting, and swift legal horse-trading that makes for daily life amidst the fractious Orlanthi clans of the fierce Malani tribe.

Sun 2:00pm Gloranthan Boardgames
Stephen Martin, David Cheng and Rob Heinsoo will talk about Gloranthan Boardgames including the new editions of the classic Gloranthan board games Dragon Pass, and Nomad Gods and also the unofficial versions of Shadows Dance, Masters of Luck and Death, and Land of Doom.

Sun 3:00pm MOB on MGF
The irrepressible Michael O'Brien and others from the Tales crew will host a seminar about Maximum Game Fun. Come and see the wonders of experiencing Glorantha, Oz Style!

Sun 4:00pm Black Sheep Races of Glorantha David Cheng will be hosting this seminar about the various down-trodden and unfairly maligned races of Glorantha, in the hopes of giving them a fair hearing. Ducks and Trollkin are likely topics of discussion but feel free to bring up your own personal `favourite'.

Sun 6:00pm Auction
Here we will have our auction of various hard-to-find Gloranthan and RuneQuest publications. If you have something you would like to put up for auction, please let us know before Sun 1:00pm. Donation of items for auction with proceeds going towards the convention are also welcome.

Sun 7:00pm Orlanthi/Lunar Debate
Jeff Richard, Greg Stafford, and a panel of other luminaries will provide a hearty oral debate about the strengths and weaknesses of the Lunar way. Will the wily lawspeakers or lunar missionaries win the hearts and minds of the public?

Sun 8:00pm Pelorian Storytelling
All are welcome to come and tell their story and we especially welcome tales with a Pelorian flavour. The best story will be judged by Greg Stafford.

Sun 10:00pm Awards and Closing
We will be issuing any awards and prizes and also marking the official closing of the convention.

Sun 10:30pm Stafford Reads
Greg reads for us from one of his unpublished manuscripts. Past readings have been from such varied sources as Harmast's Saga, Arkat's Saga, and the eagerly awaited Lunar book.

Currently Pending Firm Scheduling

Sun AM A Diet of Wyrms
David Dunham will be running his mini-LARP set in the age of the EWF.

Sun PM My Life as a Frog
Pam Carlson will be running her scenario set in Alkoth amongst the Weeders.

Sat PM Elric! (as yet untitled)
Wes Nicolson will be running Elric! scenarios set in the world of the Young Kingdoms.

Sat PM Trolls! (as yet untitled)
Dan McCluskey will be running a scenario focused on Trolls.

Paul Heinz
Scalable Development Inc., Victoria, B.C. Profax International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. Prepare to be approximated.