Uz Arkati

From: Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 00:06:26 +1200

David Cake:

> I find myself unable to decide whether I am outraged at the
>audacity of Peter to resort to (as he so often does) not only ignoring
>myths he doesn't like,

I didn't ignore it, I just said it was true only for a limited area.

>but insisting that everyone else does so as well, or

Did I?

>filled with laughter at the mention of the Lie spell involved, or simply
>stunned at the double audacity of brazenly admitting it all.

I'm suprised that you would be stunned having seen me in action for nigh on three years now.

>>C'mon! [Arkat] a secret society, not an august society of fulltime
>>sorcerers.

> As I mentioned before in my last message on Arkati, I think you are
>deciding that the Arkati (thats all Arkati, everywhere, it seems) are a
>secret society, the uz equivalent of the troll Illuminati (the Halikiv
>Obscuranti?), ignoring the Troll Gods writeup because it doesn't agree with
>you, and then sounding abusing me for having the temerity to take it in any
>way seriously.

Where in the cult description does it say that the Arkati are required to be fulltimers? You have been instinctively assuming that all Arkati cultists are either apprentice rank or higher *and* have to work fulltime at maintaining their positions. That is a model of learning sorcery found in the RQIII roolz which is somewhat based on human medieval guildlife. The relevance of this model to the Uz is highly doubtful and that is what I have been criticizing you for.

I don't recall 'sounding abusing' you but you're welcome to some (offline naturally) if you want.

>After all, you are a much more authoritative source than any
>mere published rules!

Why thank you. I acquire it from the same source as Greg. By deciding in my mind's eye what Glorantha is like and exploring it from there. *Not* by looking at the roolz and say this must be the way things are.

>>>far away from cult centres of power, though, most Arkati are full
>>>timers. [...] In Dagori Inkarth, uz join the cult because they want
>>>to become sorcerers (and they are accepted because the sorcerers
>>>want apprentices).

>>You're arguing from the roolz again.

> I furthermore find the rhetorical tactic whereby any reference to
>allocation of time spent in activity by you is reasonable, but by me
>constitutes an argument from 'the roolz', to be tiresome. Get a grip.

Mainly because I argue from a position of what the life of the average Uz Arkati may be like (ie the Uz who has a night job and practices sorcery in his downtime) whereas you seem to be relying on the RQIII roolz to argue that it must be fulltime and there is no alternative whatsoever. The difference to me seems to be obvious and not a case of irregular verbs. Thus I stand by my remarks.

>>How are the Uz sorcerers
>>going to get their daily food trollkin if they work full time at
>>their sorcery?

> In return for sorcerous services? As obscure but revered religious
>functionaries? Whatever.

Who is going to pay for them? Think! If we adopt the line that they can survive fulltime as sorcerers, then we might as well populate glorantha with the likes of the infamous town of Jotenheim which boasts a sword factory, a martial arts training centre, an alchemist's store, a drug store, a slave market, a clothing store and an armour factory for a population of only 700 people!

What can they do produce that the local priestesses and shamans can't? Is it plausible that other Uz can pay them so much that they can study fulltime at their craft? What if a Mother asks him to do some sorcery? Does he charge her (and get beaten up for his presumption) or does he do it as a service that every uz performs to their local mother? The Uz do not normally live in a society in which a sorcerer can make a full time living for services.

> Why should an Uz sorcerer (with religious status) be intrinsically
>less able to sustain themselves than any other?

Religious status, smeligious status. Most religious positions are not full time jobs in any society nor are they profitable. You seem to be saying that an Uz can merely advertise himself as a sorcerer and the customers will start coming in. Or that because a Uz Arkati knows several spells that are useful only to the aims of the cult and/or his religious development, that his kin will support him fulltime.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #10