Orlanthi Lunar Waffle

From: s.lucek_at_ic.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 97 17:20:13 +0100

David Cake

> Semantic waffling I say. What you mean is, in your game the Orlanthi
>in Lunar Provinces are going to fight the Lunars. Fair enough, can't complain.
>Just don't try and justify it with vague illdefined terminology - it needs no
>justification, least of all one I can't understand.

Re-reading my previous message I must apologise for the waffly bits. Bad, bad Stephen!

Obviously Orlanthi and Lunar ways are very different. *IF* these difference are irreconcilable (for example if the Lunar way says that violence is not ALWAYS an option, but Orlanth says it is), then as the Orlanthi inevitably become Lunarised after years of peace, prosperity, and civilisation in the provinces, then either a) these differences must watered down, the edges knocked off so that Orlanth fits nicely into Lunar life, or b) the Orlanthi gradually forsake his worship, converting to the Lunar gods.

It isn't semantic waffling. If I run a scenario in the provinces I want to know if Orlanth worship is strong there (though it might be different to a greater or lesser degree from the Sartarian Orlanthi tradition) or whether worship of Orlanth is in fact rare, almost everyone gladly embracing the Lunar gods. It might also affect how the Lunars treat Orlanthi worship in more recently conquered areas.

So to decide what happens, you need to decide how irreconcilable the differences between Orlanthi and Lunar culture are. I have not yet, though I favour much watering down of Orlanth combined with a lot of conversion.

This has nothing to do with how much violence you want. You can have secret sects of Orlanthi die hard terrorists, bitter either that a) the gods are not worshipped properly anymore or b) the old gods are being forsaken. Or not.

Less waffle this time?

Peter Metcalfe

> No, no, NO! Orlanth is *NOT* dead. He has been *conquered* which
> is something completely different! Have a look at your sources ...

Look at my sources? That's cheating isn't it? :) Thanks for the correction.

Stephen Lucek.