Terminology.

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:46:12 +0100

Jane said:
>Michael Cule said:
>
>> (By the way, let me say that I want to keep the word Hero for its
>> specific Gloranthan theological meaning: Someone who alters the
>> structure of Other World Reality. I don't think creating a continuum
>> down to the farmer defending his stead helps.)
>
>Fair enough. Might I suggest that a Hero (initial capital) keeps this
>meaning, but a hero (lower-case) is someone who does a brave and
>self-sacrificing deed?

Fair enough as long as people keep the distinction clearly in mind.

>Now, how you you classify the farmer who does a ritual that increases his
>clan's links with Ernalda, thus causing her to make his fields more
>fertile?

If he just performs a ritual that is available to his cult without having to leave the mundane plane then he is a good, pious fellow.

If he leaves the Mundane Plane to some extent to recreate some mythic event then he is a Pathwalker or Type I HeroQuester.

If he leaves the Mundane Plane to create some new event in GodTime then he is a Hero.