Divine spells and Heroquests

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 23:02:55 -0700

Some people are of the opinion that divine spells cast on a HQ should be permanently lost. My old GM used this rule. Having been on a quest where my priest burned up half his rune magic permanently, I'll make a couple points:
  1. Priests are esentially being punished if they HQ. Their big power is reusable divine magic. You might as well just send a initiate instead.
  2. In one situation, I cast 2 points of shield, because I was worried about being killed. had my character been more powerful (in terms of combat skills, magic armor, and stored MPs), I probably wouldn't have needed the spells. Because I was wimpier than the other Priest (who was also a Rune Lord), I ended up burning spells permanently, whereas he used none. This is a downward spiral for less powerful characters.

On a side note, there were a couple extrapolations our GM made: Truestone was highly prized by heroquesters, as spells stored in it can be cast without any permanent losses. If you cast a spell that you've traded for (or otherwise "borrowed"), then the guy you got it from loses it permanently. Kind of makes you think twice before trading away your spells...