An Arkat.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 22:18:59 +0100 (BST)

Peter M. says the Troll cult of Arkat is a secret society, David C. says it's a body of more-or-less fulltime sorcerers.

I don't think it's precisely either. Now, there _is_ an Arkat secret society type thing, or more likely several such, but I think their main domain is the human populace of Ralios. Within this (these), as a sort of society-within-a-society, I suspect, is where the actual "Arkati" (the neo-Illuminant types) are to be found. Doubtless some troll types participate in these madcap schemes as well.

But there are other, quite different forms of Arkat worship, although in places they're doubtless confusingly blurred at the edges and combined. Namely, "ordinary" divine-style Hero Cults of Arkat in one aspect or another, and of course, [Black] Arkat [Kingtroll], the one at issue here. My understanding is that the "sorcerous" aspect of Arkat is in form very much like a divine cult, whose spells just _happen_ to be sorcerous effects. Certainly I think that's the mode of thought with which the trolls understand him, though there may be some compromises that have to be made due to the "nature" of the magic. In the troll heartlands, it's the most like this; in more fringe areas, there will doubtless be further resemblances to other aspects.

So broadly, I have to agree more with Peter (despite the compact David and I have to agree with each other at regular intervals), in that I don't see the typical Arkat troll worshipper having the social role of a Stereotyped Sorcerer. Though in places like the Shadow Plateau and the Kitori lands, which may be the places David is more concerned with, I think the overlap between this strand of Arkatism and the Secret Society with a Mission one is slight. There, I see them as behaving like a divine/hero cult, though a relatively small and altogether wacky one, to be sure.

Good luck,
Alex.
- --
[On the other hand, I'm increasingly coming to doubt whether "roolz" continues to be terribly funny. And of course, the correct form is Zee Roolz.]