HeroQuest paths and maintenance

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_geco.it>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 23:12:13 +0200

Many thanks to all contributors who spoke about HQ during the last days. I found most comments interesting and useable. In fact, I am going to experiment many of the suggestions during the next game sessions. Of course, the players I will compel to maintain their HQ powers with re-enactment quests will be less grateful to the digest communnity :-)

My comments now:

Joerg Baumgartner

- -----------------

[ answering Robert MacArthur about rituals needed to HeroQuest (and their cost in Free INT) many digests ago ]

> Depends on your approach. If you're a Stygian, Henotheist, or Aeolian, you
> always have the option to put this into a divine spell, a variant of Worship
> Deity as far as I am concerned. If you walk a saint's (i.e. Malkioni cult
> hero's) path, this might be summed up into Worship Invisible God plus Saint
> Lore success. If you are a power-grabbing Loskalmi New Hrestoli "Idealist"
> going to plunder the spirit/hero plane "for the greater good and against the
> vile Kingdom of War", I think a couple of ritual challenges (without much,
> if any, magic involved) at the right river crossings, followed by choosing
> the correct path or guardian, will deliver you to the happy hunting grounds
> - - Pendragon knightly questing style, use RQ3 Vikings rules and stats for
> naturals.

> Of all the above, only "Worship Invisible God" takes up any INT in storing
> as per RQ3, and every devout Malkioni should know it anyway.

Actually, it is exactly the way I handle it for Western HeroQuests. The only exception is that I use a specific ritual, the HeroQuest Path (Ritual, Summon), in conjunction with knowledge of the myth or quest one wants to explore or re-enact (Cult or Saint Lore is an appropriate test). Worship Invisible God is rather different than the divine spell Worship Deity IMHO. It has to do with the spiritual reassurement of attaining solace, and it is a quite "static" ritual intended to keep believers content of whatever little they have on the mundane plane without questioning the IG and/or his churchmen, while teisthic Worship Deity can send people to the God Plane to "see" physical evidence of their god, if performed at the right time.

Jose Ramos
- ----------

> And anyway very deep heroquests take very long to disappear: just
> think in the Sindic's Ban (and nobody maintained it, and indeed many people
> quested to break it). However I agree that all this effects will eventually
> fade (magical entropy, anyone) if not maintained somehow.

Even more intriguing thougth: do you think Zzabur is actively maintaining the Closing? This would explain why Brithos disappeared when the Closing was cast and why Big Z has showed up less often than before during the last centuries. Not that many people will miss him, mind me...

Michael Cule
- ------------

> And worse, when Gbaji was destroyed and the remnants of his cult stamped
> on, why did the curses on the Trolls and the Telmori continue?

The answer is obvius but scary...

"After the battle, only one emerged, and it is said it was Arkat."

In my game, you can quest to re-enact the Gbaji wars (different sort of Quest, for the actual facts took place within Time - I call it Legend as opposed to Myth which happened in GodTime) and determine whether it was A. or G. who won.

I think there is a "neutral point" between the two, which is the being who was both Arkat and Nysalor described in Drastic V.#1. Each successful quest moves the balance towards the "totally Arkat" or "totally Gbaji" option. The fact that most people believe that Arkat won shows that the most successful questers have been the Arkati, but the fact that Gbaji's curses are still in effect shows that also the Nysalori have been successful somehow. Note that some Malkioni (notably the Boristi) think that Arkat come back as an incarnation of Gbaji, and so their heroes quest on the Nysalor side, even though they see Gbaji as an enemy.

Paolo Guccione	p.guccione_at_geco.it
		http://www.geco.it/~guccione

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #13