Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #10

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 03:13:01 -0400 (EDT)

I inquired....

> > What written languages in Glorantha are phonetic as opposed to
> >ideographic? AiG indicates that Theyalan Runes are used as an alphabet in
> >Esrolian but as ideograms elsewhere, and I gather that written New
Pelorean
> >is phonetic. Any others?

And Peter Metcalf noted....

> The Dara Happan script is alphabetic. The Pelandan script
> is ideogrammic although it shares similarities with the Dara
> Happan script. AFAIK the Western Script is alphabetic.

       Supposedly, all the cultures of the West use the same script and can all read it (according to AiG, and somewhere else, I think) although they don't all speak they same language. That implies something ideographic, like Chinese, unless the Western languages are actually pretty similar or perhaps they all write in the Western equivalent of Latin.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...