Representative Minis

From: HOWARD_FIELDING_at_cckrdc.ca.alcan.ca
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 11:35 -0400 (EDT)

     Hi Guys and Gals,

     I know that everyone who uses miniatures in their gaming or [like me]
     who likes to wargame in their favourite game world is eagerly awaiting
     the new Glorantha Miniatures from Italy.

     In the meantime, however, we have to scrounge for suitable miniatures.
     Here is a list of figures that i have found to be satisfactory
     representations of Glorantha...[All IMHO, of course]:

     Elves and other Aldryami:

     Warriors of Wood/War Trees -
     Games Workshop Treemen are the best i've found.

     Dryads -

[My belief is that Dryads appear as a sexually attractive member of
whatever race is in contact with them...like the Red Dwarf "Pleasure Gelph episode"] Thus these could be represented by nymphs,etc in the traditional manner...i believe their true form [which would be seen during a tramatic encounter, ie Battle] would be far different. I use the Games Workshop Dryads [which look like smaller versions of the Treemen]. Sprites/Pixies - Ral Partha makes a pack of 6 "Fairies" flying around some sort of orb. I cut them apart and add one or two to other aldryami bases. These are AD&D minis and might be discontinued this year...Code # Runners - Ral Partha used to make a pack of 3 woodland creatures [also AD&D minis]. I don't know what they are called but they don't carry weapons nor do they wear clothes. They "lope" along and have tails. They vaguely resemble monkeys with slightly more human faces and have "fur" which upon closer examination appears more "leafy" than "furry". In other words, perfect for Runners. They were discontinued 2 years ago but quantities are still available on request. Code #11-463. Send e-mails to rparth19_at_IDT.NET. Regular Elves...still looking for suitable figures...most are too Tolkien-esque! I think what I want are human-like, yet not human, with little or no clothes or equipment. Any such should be "leafy-looking", plant like, "Grown" not "Made". Red Elves/Goblins - I am experimenting with Games Workshop Nurglings [both old and New versions] and have ordered some Ral Partha "Moldmen, Code #11-511" to try them out. Mostali: Iron Dwarfs- Relatively easy compared to the Aldryami...Some Games Workshop Dwarfs have muskets/pistols [as do Ral Partha's]. One of GW's old Regiment of Renown [Prince Someone-or-other's...] had troopers in chainmail with Axes, pistols in their belts [superb Iron Dwarfs]. Asgard Miniatures [ now owned by Tabletop, i think] had a Dwarf Sniper! [with telescopic (!) sights.] And who can forget the old Citadel " Dwarf With No Name", cigar and all! Jolanti - I'm experimenting with the idea of using Ral Partha's "Marut, #11-646" from the TSR Planescape range. Haven't recieved the figures yet...looks good on the web site though i can't tell exactly how big they are...my guess about 1-1/2 to 2 man-heights [BTW, Web Site = www.ralpartha.com] Humans: The Wargames Foundry makes the best 25mm Ancients figures - bar none! They just released an North European Bronze Age Range based on the Bog People i think...very good. But then i don't adhere to the RQ3 Heresy
[The West\Sorcery\etc, with the French names - keep it to Pendragon,
please - and Plate armoured knights. In fact, i question even the availability of stirrups...] They make sub-Roman British [historical King Arthur], Picts, Ancient Britains [Boudica], Greeks vs Persia, Rome vs Carthage, Imperial Rome, Nubians, Egyptians, Hittites, Lybians and Sea Peoples. Their civilian figures and vignettes are real show-stoppers. Their Taiping Rebellion range has Imperial Chinese. The some Bronze Age figures could be citizen militia...their standard is a [Sun] Disk. Any of the Celts/Picts could represent the Hill Barbarians...or different groupings of Theyalans...ie Sub-Roman brits for Heortland and Sartar, Ancient Brits for Delelans, Picts for the Far Point Tribes, etc. The Imperial Chinese are perfect for the Kralorela. The Nubians work for Pamaltelans. For a free sample figure their contact number is: "The Foundry" Huberts Lane, off Doyle Rd. St. Peter Port GY1 1RG Channel Islands United Kingdom Phone: 011-44-1481-714-241 Fax: 011-44-1481-714-905 BTW, Wargames Foundry mail order is FANTASTIC...send them a Fax on monday, expect the order next monday!!!! [And I'm in Canada] Redoubt Miniatures make large-25mm Trojan War figures...look ok in the pictures but i have had such bad luck ordering from them in the past that i am afraid to order from them again! Once it took almost a Year to arrive (!), another time they shipped it in a bubble-envelope which was ripped by the time it arrived!!!
[Not as bad as Stratagem though...i'm still waiting for my 1992-3
orders to arrive!!! *sigh*] Chaos: Broo- Games Workshop Beastmen win hands down! The current range has basic poses/types...their old range had 60+ vaiations with assorted chaos features. These might still be available thru their UK Mail Order: Games Workshop Mail Order Chewton Street, Hilltop, Eastwood, Nottingham NG16 3HY United Kingdom Phone: 011-44-1773-713213 Fax: 011-44-1773-533453 Their range of Chaos Champions and Chaos Sorcerers is also FANTASTIC! Anyhow, enough wasted bandwidth... Howard ------------------------------