True Furrows Saga Pt 2

From: Giles Hill <waha_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 97 22:03 BST-1

One day Mord Fiddle and his youngest son Hrut came to call on Hoskuld Dalla-Kollson. They talked about a number of things eventually Mord Fiddle said I wish to discuss a marriage deal with you. Hrut wishes to make an offer for you daughters hand and to become your son-in-law and I shall not be sparing in my support. "I know that you are a great thane", said Hoskuld, "but of your son I know little"
"He is a better man than I" replied Mord.
"You would have to settle a very large sum on him" said Hoskuld for Fawin
will inherit everything I own"
" I shall not keep you waiting for my offer " said Mord "Hrut is to have
Kambsness and Hrutstead and all the land up to Thrandargill; in addition he will have a small house in Runesgate" Hrut intervened. "you must understand that fartherly love makes Mord exagerates my virtues. But if you are prepared to consider this matter at all I would like you to name the terms yourself."
"I have already decieded on my terms" said Hoskuld "Fawins dowry from me
will be sixty hundreds, which you are to increase by half; and if there are heirs, the whole estate is to be divided equally between the two of you."
"I accept these terms" said Hrut "let us now call in witnesses" .
They stood up and Hoskuld betrothed his daughter Fawin to Hrut, the wedding was to take place after the harvest. Hoskuld called Fawin to him and told her of her betrothal. Fawin said that it was a good match, but that they should go to old Varmands Oak to make sure that they had Varmands and Orlanths blessing Hrut who was a most holy man though that this was a good idea so the two set off alone.

When they came to Orlanths Oak which is also called Varmands Oak because it was here that he swore his oath of vengeance when he first came to these lands.
Hrut placed his spear down and unbuckled his shortsword then he and Fawin laid there gifts at the foot of the oak and knelt in prayer although if truth be told Fawin prayed to Ernalda and not to Orlanth for her blessing.

Truefurrow who had seen them from the low pastures crept through the trees and into the clearing.
"You must try to rob me of everything Hrut" said Trufurrow "and you will
take your little chopper to Fawin now in her marriage bed, but look I can chop hard too" with that he swung hard striking Hrut about the head so that he lost an eye there and then, then Hrut staggered back grasping his spear.
" While I have breath no harm shall you do to Fawin" Hrut said. But
Truefurrow just laughed. Hrut threw his spear which hit Truefurrow in the thigh and caused him to cry out like a women.
"If you were brave" said Hrut "you would come close and give my spear so
that we could finish this like men." Trufurrow just laughed but when Hrut was nearly dead from his wound he brought the spear over and stabbed Hrut with it many times.

When Hrut died Fawin begged Truefurrow to go to her fathers stead and tell them of this deed but Truefurrow just laughed and then was took her against the Lightning Oak.
"They will kill me for three deeds now instead of two for I've taken you
childhood and made you a woman and have no intention of inviting you to my wedding bed, and I have slain Hrut and spilt blood on holy ground" Then he turned and walked out of this saga and although outlaws have the blessing of Orlanth it is certain that he did not have the blessing of anyone else.

When Yelm had fled the sky and the pair had not returned to Hoskuld stead, Hoskuld, Mord and several of their men went out to look for the pair they found Fawin crying over the dead body of Hrut because Truefurrow had not even bothered to honour his death, befor leaving.

Mords remaining two sons and Hoskuld wanted to avenge Hrut by declaring Kin-Strife. Mord who new Heorts laws well said that this could not be so as Truefurrow had declared himself outlawed infront of a witness even if she was a woman. But he would take it up at the Althing(2) which was to be at the end of that season.

When the Althing was due Mord, his two sons and ten men rode to Hoskulds stead, Hoskuld and eight of his people including Ketil joined their party. Ketil said little but rode armed for he said that no good would come of this day but that many men would regret it.

At the Althing Hoskuld and Mord set up their tents and sent word to friends that they were to bring suit against Gunnar and his fammily or the death of Hrut and that they should come and provide aid.

On the day that Mord was to bring suit against Gunnar however he was ill, and so he told Glum that he would have to bring the suit "You must ask for for sixty hundreds for that is both the dowry that was lost and for Hrut who would have been a thane if not a chief. Also for Fawin who has lost her future husband Gunnar is an honest and lawful man and although it is much he will pay this debt."

Glum agreed on this matter but in his heart he had other thoughts. When he got to the Law Rock he gave notice of his suite and called witnesses. When everyone had assembled at the Law Rock including Gunnar and his two remaining sons, Glum gave notice of the claim for wergild. Gunnar said there was no claim to be assessed because Truefurrow was an outlaw. But Hoskuld said he had outlawed himself after he had killed Hrut not been outlawed before it so this did not matter. Then Glum made his claim which he assessed as a hundred hundreds. He demanded immediate payment of this sum, on fine of a penalty to be set by all the law speakers.

When Gunnar heard this he was surprised he said "You are pressing this claim concerning your brothers wergild with greed and aggression rather than decency and fairness, and for that matter I intend to resist it. You have not got your hands on the money or on the outlaw Truefurrow yet; the money is in my possession still. I declare and let all those present be witness, that there will be kinstrife before I pay" Glum just nodded and walked off with Hoskuld and Valfrif for in his heart that was what he had wanted.

Nothing happened for the rest of the season but one night at the end of Earth Season Mord heard an axe bump against a panel and ring loudly. Then he noticed that the shields which ussuallly hang against the bed closet were now gone.
"Who has taken down the shields" said Mord
His wife replied "your sons."
So Mord pulled on his shoes and went at once to the other side of the house. He saw his sons and six of the men already climbing the hill
"Where are you going off to, Glum?" he asked.
"To look for sheep" said Glum
"You would not be armed if that were your intention" said Mord "you must
have some other purpose"
"We are going to fish for salmon if we cannot find the sheep" said Glum
"If that were true it would be best that you let none of your catch
escape" said Mord then went to bed

2. The Althing is the Summer fair held at a sight selected by the Tribal chieftan at it all matters of law are heard and judged by the tribes Law speakers.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #20