Delecti graduating date and other draconisms

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 97 23:49 MET DST

Peter Metcalfe in reply to my musings on EWF sorcery (in V4 #563)

>I think from the presence of the Western Army in Dragon Pass during
>the Chaos Wars (cf Arkat cult writeup) and the Malkioni Bishopic
>in Nochet that the sorcery of the EWF was derived from the sorcery
>of the West.

I agree that this is most likely. However: pre-Return to Rightness Crusade, or the GodLearned RuneQuest variation? There would be a great difference, as pre-Rightness sorcery would have been more similar to the Stygian approach.

>Delecti is even described as becoming a Magus around
>800 ST or so.

Do you have a source for this?

>Undoubtedly the Lore of the God Learners was much more comprehensive
>than the EWF but then the EWF 'mapped' sorcerous concepts onto the
>draconic realm (akin to the Red Goddess's fusion of spirit magic and
>sorcery).

Yes. However, I have the feeling that "Godunya's Magic" is a similar case.

>This gave their sorcery a sinster twist and enhanced their
>control over some draconic effects.

While I fail to see why lefthanded should be equated with sinister (more so in a region where almost everyone knew Auld Wyrmish at 30% or better - which makes me wonder where and how the native languages survived, shouldn't all of them have ended up like the Pavic language? Were the Orlanthi dialects re-introduced by Alakoring and his southwestern Pelorian allies?)

>One thing about the EWF sorcery: I've been trying to draw a
>connection between Delecti's Necromancy and the EWF magics (or
>between the Remakers and the EWF for that matter). So far the
>two subjects seems to be totally unrelated.

And what's worse, "evil magic" (i.e. the enemies' magic) often is coined "sorcery" without God Learner sanction.

>There is the matter
>of Veleus the Undead who tried to take over the Dara Happan
>Government after the Dragonkill War.

A ghost?

I agree on Vistikos' revelations as a key to the organized EWF magics, though Rostand the Speaker's immunity to the spirits of Retribution might have predated this.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #21