Dentistry

From: goihl_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de <goihlk_at_CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 09:47:03 +0000

Hy Gloranthans,

Stephen wrote:
BTW, can we stop referring to anything which people have gotten from Greg over the years as coming from Greg's Trashcan or Wastebasket? I think it is a very negative way to put the fact that Greg has been generous enough... - -..bit respectful and, dare I say it, grateful, eh?

Me: I wouldn't refer to any of the stuff Greg has so generously given me as trash, and would be offended if someone disregarded his generousity in such a way. Stephen, shall I hold them down while you torture them?

Which brings us to our next subject; a particularly cruel form of torture know as "Dentistry".

 Joerg is on the loose again, and brings up something I unfortunately know something about.
He Writes:
Could amalgamated silver qualify as tarnished if encountered in Glorantha?

Me: Good try, but no. Tarnish refers to oxidation. Amalgamated tooth fillings were an alloy of silver and mercury. This was done on purpose, and didn't discolor the metal's surface. I'm using the past tense because other substances are often used nowadays. Other metals have been used too.

Joerg: Does that mean that Jaldon Toothmaker is a Thanatari hero?

me: no. Thanatar is an Orlanthi thing, not Praxian. A thanatari would not get far with organizing the Praxians to destroy Pavis. Jaldon makes teeth from Gold anyway, and not from Silver or any silver substitute. Putting cheap silver-colored metal in your mouth is not the best idea. Always use Gold.

Joerg: (That he is a dentist, or at least dental technician, is well documented - in his myth, plus he is known for wanton cruelty, and thorough plundering of his patients in Dragon Pass...

Me: I object most strongly! There is NOTHING "wanton" about it. I did all of that very deliberately. The plundering of patients is of course against those who don't pay their dental bills. That would be something tho, to do work on a dragon's teeth!

Joerg: Correct me if I'm
wrong, but Greg has an uncle named Jaldon who is a dental technician. Daniel?)

Me: Yeah, or something. I'm currently hazy about the exact name. Don Jaldon? I think that is wrong tho. Take a look at Greg's dental work. Gold all over! He has to get it all redone now tho, so don't mention it to him. Bad subject. Greg has one or more relatives who are/were Dental Technicians and have the syllables "jal" and "don" somewhere in their names.

The ability to enjoy Cruelty is that which sets us apart from our animal siblings. Daniel