Re: HQ rules, Woad, Issaries

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:53:05 +0000

Luc Lavergne proposes matrix rules of HQing: If these are the same as the ones I've seen elsewhere (and it looks like it), then I can see a problem.

> The player HQer would propose a range of mundane effects which would
> reflect his journey in the Heroplane and put some reasons to support
> them. In return, the GM would analyse those reasons, making them
> strong, normal, weak or simply dismiss them, and a simple roll would
> resolve the problem.

"The GM would analyse those reasons" - this is where the hand-waving comes in. In fact, it's the same bit of hand-waving we had before. I agree that the matrix structure would improve things somewhat, if only by giving the GM a checklist, but it's the handwaving that could do with some quantification.

Woad.
I was considering the problems of solo woad-application. And "goihl_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de" (how do you pronounce that, BTW?) asked:
> Why doesn't the friend you are chatting with want to join you?
Because the whole point of the problem is that this is the time when there isn't a friend you're chatting to. "Alone" is part of the problem definition.

He then adds:
> There would be no problem if you were alone tho, because you don't
> need to paint your back as only the Lunars will be showing theirs.
An interesting point. I thought the Woad spell required the stuff to be applied to the whole body. Does it in fact only get applied to: a) visible bits? ("That's hidden by the beer-gut, don't bother painting it").
b) the bits you want protected? ("No, I'll keep the plate greaves, just put woad on my face would you?")

And he added various personal comments that really didn't belong on the Digest. Never mind, he's new to all this. He'll learn.

Joerg Baumgartner, still tyring to catch up, said of our new Worldly/Spiritual trait:
> No problem with the trait pair, but with Issaries I have my doubts. He is -
> among more worldly functions - a Mercury clone in guiding the souls to the
> underworld. This sounds pretty spiritual to me.
Agreed - what I think we were saying was that this is not a trait to apply to any cult. They all want you to be spiritual. The old Worldly trait was trying to be both this and "money-grabbing miser", which didn't work. The second of the two meanings is what applies to Issaries, and I think the Selfish trait covers it nicely myself.

> BTW, which Issaries cult rank is responsible to fulfill these psychopomp
> duties ritually?

According to the CoP write-up, Goldentongue. It's only as a Lightbringer that he has these duties, apparently. Presumably this is an aspect of Issaries the Guide and Pathfinder.

The CoP writeup also says that Issaries rune-levels have the job of mapping the Underworld while still alive. Now there's a rewarding HQ - down to Hell, explore a bit no-one's done before, and come back with - a map?? Presumably they get hired to do other people's preparation HQs for them?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml