Stars, Legalese (the last time), +++

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 21:08:17 EDT

 Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> Arkat, Stars and Languages

>The Dara Happan records mention several emperors as having their
>own stars. Unfortunately some of the names are highly doubtful
>in that the year of appearance does not actually tally with their
>reign. It is possible that the appearance of a new star in the
>heavens might be sycophantically attributed to the reigning Emperor.

The Book of Drastic Resolutuons, Volume Prax, addresses this problem, as I pointed it out to Greg about a year ago. Basically, the numbering in GRoY has been altered to correct this problem.

Nick Brooke politely tells us all to get on with it, and rightly so.

>Could not the time and effort spent in worrying about this more usefully
be
>devoted to *writing* an article, scenario or other desideratum with a
>Gloranthan setting?
>
>Then the said work could be submitted for publication to one of the
>established zines (Tales, Drastic Res), or sent here to the Daily, or
>submitted to the thus-far legendary Duck Point Press imprint, while we
>could all get on with business as usual.

As one of the primary members of this discussion, I declare this to be my last post on the subject. Anyone with _private_ enquiries or concerns is more than welcome to send them to me, for my completely personal and unofficial views. And as the publisher of Drastic Res., I can say that any and all submissions are welcome. And needed -- I am as tired of writing half the contents of the book as I am sure people are of reading stuff written mostly by me.

There is still time and room for submissions to the Troll/Darkness issue. After that, I may do a Volume Water, ideas and submissions are welcome. I still have little desire to publish scenarios, though with the alleged death of RQA I might be willing to change my mind, if I get good submissions. (The Gods know my skill level at Write Decent Scenario is about -100%.)

A final point on the issue -- as the fate of RQ is problematic, and relations with AH have never been very good, what is everyone's opinion on possibly writing for a different rules system, abandoning RQ almost completely. Cult write-ups and magic are one thing, I'm looking more at Creature statistics -- should I continue to seek RQ stats, switch to Basic Role-Playing or Pendragon, or what? Votes can be sent to me privately, rather than bog down the Digest.

Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> fonrit, spoken brithini and EWF

>Where or what is Yngortu? I understand from Sandy's latest Fonrit
>posting about the Umathelans worshipping the most accesible of the
>Fonritan Gods, that Humakt is known as Enkidu in Fonrit (and appears
>as a skeleton wielding a sword and shield).

Peter, Peter, Peter -- don't you mean "The Fonritan god Enkidu, who appears as a skeleton wielding a sword and shield) is often called Humakt by foreigners from the northern continent"?

Yngortu is one of two cities which was in the original Fonrit write-up, but which did not make it into the Heroes write-up. My guess is that they ran out of room, and lopped off the last few lines. In the interest of Fair Use, I will include the missing information here:

Yngortu (large city): Also known as "Grimcity". The major religion here is that of the Two Brothers, Orjethulut and Hanjethulut, who fought and killed off all their rivals, but made peace before slaying each other. Careful census is taken each Sacred Time to ensure that neither cult has more initiates or rune lords. Although the worshipers deny any association with outside gods, most observers identify the Two Brothers with Humakt and Zorak Zoran.

Zalasfan (large city): This city is a Blank Land, left to you as the gamemaster to develop or destroy as you see fit.

Note that the mention in the write-up for Tondiji of "Zorak Zoran" I assume to refer instead to Hanjethulut, the local deity sometimes called by that name.

Hmm, on second thought, since these two cities don't appear on the map in Heroes, it is possible they were cut on purpose. Though whether by Chaosium or Heroes, I can't say. Then again, the original map is hard enough to read, maybe they were cut because the editors couldn't figure out where the cities were....

No, Zalasfan is pretty obvious -- it is due west of Tondiji and due north of Sarro, right on the coast of the westernmost peninsula of Kareeshtu. Hmm, now I see another city which is missing -- my guess is a lot was cut in the interests of space.

I won't risk the wrath of the powers that be by putting in more -- what I posted was relevant in one case, pretty harmless in the other. I'll bring up the issue with Ron when he returns, see if it's OK to post the rest.

Oh yeah, Yngortu, it's pretty clear too. It is on the northern tip of Tortrica on the published map, right at the dimple in the land due north of the little coastal island on the northeastern coast of Tortrica. See Heroes 6 if you've got it.

Daniel "Kill Them All" Fahey
>Joerg: Correct me if I'm
>wrong, but Greg has an uncle named Jaldon who is a dental technician.
>Daniel?)

>Me: Yeah, or something. I'm currently hazy about the exact name. Don
Jaldon?
>I think that is wrong tho. Take a look at Greg's dental work. Gold all
over!
>He has to get it all redone now tho, so don't mention it to him. Bad
subject.
>Greg has one or more relatives who are/were Dental Technicians and have
>the syllables "jal" and "don" somewhere in their names.

Greg told this to me as well. His name is Don Jal-something, I don't recall the last part. I believe the relevant part was that his license plate for his car was Don Jal, though I could be wrong -- Oakfed was named in this way, after the license plate of the president of the (now-defunct?) bank OAKland FEDeral. Or so Greg said, we all know how he likes making up stories....

Lewis Jardine

>I assume that the compass debate has decided that Gold is drawn
>towards Yelm ... Now mount this needle on a
>vertical circular disk with marks arround the edge and you have
>what is known as a "Sun Dial" in Glorantha. This is a reliable
>method for telling the larger units of time. Obviously, the larger
>the sun dial is the more accurate it will be (but it will also
>require more gold in the needle!). Pocket Sun Dials are just Gold
>Compasses and are sometimes known as such or even Sun (or Solar)
>Compasses. The devices must be held vertically and are of course
>relatively inaccurate.

Very cool, with only one flaw -- the Sun moves faster in Winter than in summer, because according to the current model, it rises and sets in the same place, but crosses the same amount of sky in a shorter period of time.

Perhaps the temples of Yelm have Sun Dials donated to them for the different days of the year -- they'd need a total of 148 to accurately tell time every day. Thus, the best gift a supplicant could give would be a Sun Dial calibrated for a day the temple is missing? Or, give a more ornate version of one they already have (if they have them all), preferably one your rival gave last year. The older, less ornate one would then go to a smaller church in the boonies.

Three of these would be required to found any new temple of Yelm, the ones for Midsummer, Midwinter, and the two Equinoxes.

And I, for one, sincerely hope this does not reopen the Compass debate!

Whew! Five digests an hour, more or less. We have _got_ to get lives! :)

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com