office?

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:31:27 -0500

Me:
>> 	BTW, in all this, "how does a guy like the Pharaoh keep from
>> floating off to the Hero-Plane" hoopla, doesn't anyone wonder about the
>> Only Old One?

Alex:
> Easy one; the OOO is actually an Office, not a single person, if I
> recall correctly.

        Could you please explain where this comes from? It's certainly the first I've heard of it. It doesn't fit the rule of common sense, though; if then OOO was an office, then Belintar would have become OOO rather than Pharoah. (And don't say that you have to be a troll to be OOO, it has been proven by HQ that the OOO is a troll and that he isn't a troll. _Both_ HQs have been performed.) (Besides, everybody knows that Sandy Petersen is the OOO, :-))

Michael Cule:
> Well, yes. But would you want an afterlife in which you spent
> eternity doing the same things over and over and never being
> properly aware that you're trapped in a loop.....

        If you're not aware that you're in a loop, what's the problem? Immortality, a place amongst the gods, the worship of right-thinking people everywhere... sounds good to me, from a bronze-age point of view. And the bit about being stuck in a loop isn't correct, that's not how Time operates/fails to operate on the God-Plane.

> (And since we've been touching on exceptions let's ask how Sir
> Ethilrist manages to avoid this fate.)

        Sir Ethilrist is one of the typical examples given of a selfcentered  Hero (Harrek is the other). He isn't interested in Questing to help his community, he's just interested in helping himself. His community consists mostly of his followers in his White and Black Horse Troops, and the veterans/farmers tilling the land near Muse Roost.

        Perhaps Sir Ethilrist is the example of a Hero who can 'just say no'; he got what he wanted from HQ's and stopped.

Martin Laurie:
> A star is a focus.

        I don't see why a star couldn't be used this way, but I don't believe that is what it's there for. The creation of a star, and the acheiving of immortality/ceasing of aging are the two most commonly recognised marks of someone who has become a Hero. The star isn't necessary for worship; Sir Ethilrist had a cult of people long before he setlled down & built Muse Roost; his Black horse Troop, who followed his (Hero)path and gained demon steeds.

> Basically its an incredibly powerful magical ritual open to
> sky/sun worshippers.

        Nah, Arkat was never a sun/sky type and he had/has three. A star is the place where a Hero retires to, when he leaves the Mundane World. But it isn't a prison if you still have Free Will or whatever.

        Please note that this fits in with the fact (?) that Uz Heros/ Heroines have 'stars' that appear in the sky of Wonderhome....

                        Andrew

"The Muse struck me the other day, but I am recovering nicely"